Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking & air consumption

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Default Smoking & air consumption

Maybe this isn't totally dive related, but i'm posting it here anyway!

So, I've been smoking cigarettes for a number of years and I finally quit last sunday (yay for me!!!)

Today I went for a dive as I haven't been for a couple of weeks and my air consumption wasn't as much as it used to be - we were under for 39 mins (due to an issue with another diver, so had to come up earlier than the normal 45 mins) - my starting psi was 3000 and my ending psi was 1500...
    before it would have been around the 900psi mark....

all i can say is WOW!!!

It makes me more glad when seeing stuff like this that quitting the cigarettes is a good thing....

Just thought i'd share my minor triumph with you guys
    Lottie

Country
    Canada

Way to go Lottie, congratulations on quitting, stick with it

smurf

You go girl!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Congrats! Just think of all the money you will save to spend on scuba gear now!

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Thumbs up

Congratulations!

I noticed the difference in gas consumption when I quit five years ago. You'll be a happier and healthier person all around, stick with it.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Thanks for the support guys.

Snake - I think I'll need to wait for a while before spending any money on scuba gear (like getting a bcd and reg) - need to get that job sorted out first !!
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Great job Lottie! I quit smoking ciggs. about 6 years ago. I still cheat once in a while (when at concerts with friends and such), and I must say it was a VERY difficult thing to do. Mad props chickey. I am surprised you noticed a difference so soon, it was most likely due to other things, but over time your air consumption will definately improve because you quit smoking.

I always find it strange when after a dive you see a few divers hanging out downwind to get their NicFix. It makes me wonder how serious they really are about their diving, but then again I remember how difficult it was to quit.

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    It makes me wonder how serious they really are about their diving, but then again I remember how difficult it was to quit.
    In my case, it took a little diving scare to get me to quit. I was a pretty new wreck diver and I was pulling the hook on the Oregon (130 fsw) after a dive of around 40 minutes. As luck had it, the current was pulling the dive boat right down the keel of the wreck. After humping the grapnel and chain over 300 feet of wreckage, I dropped it in the sand and took a quick look at my gas supply before starting my ascent. Suffice it to say it was quite a bit less than half and I had enough of a deco obligation for it to concern me. Everything went fine but I got up on the boat and crumpled up my smokes, and never had another.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by BillGraham View Post
    Everything went fine but I got up on the boat and crumpled up my smokes, and never had another.
    Wow! amazing story. Until I posted this, i didn't realise there were so many peeps on here that quit - it's nice to know there are other people that quit and if you guys can do it...then so can i.

Ace - i think i noticed the air consumption alot quicker as i was more relaxed in the dive, buoyancy was great, wasn't yoyoing around as much and wasn't using my arms as much either..so i think it was an amalgam (sp?) of alot of other factors..but i think quitting the smokes probably helped as well.
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    , i didn't realise there were so many peeps on here that quit - it's nice to know there are other people that quit and if you guys can do it...then so can i.

..but i think quitting the smokes probably helped as well.

There are so many of us because it makes a huge difference in our health AND our air consumption. So of course divers are going to have a large group that quit.

AND YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast