Thread: Study claims 100% o2 is harmful

Hybrid View

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

If we are talking ambient air then less than .005% CO2 in the human exhale we are looking at 1.9% plus our minus depending on load! Not MUCH!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

I was thinking about it, and for the medical there is a very simple fix. Stop using non-rebreater masks (the kind with the resivor bag) and start using rebreater masks which give the patient about 95%O2 instead of the 99-100% with the non-rebreater masks.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I just re-certified my O2 Administrator and we were taught to use re-breather mask from the start! This might be the new thinking!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Well I guess that's good to hear, I just went through an EMT recert and all that most medical agencies (medics, lifeguards, even police who were in the class) used were either non-rebreater or on very rare occasions nasal canuals. I know that's all we carry on our trucks where I work, but maybe with time rebreaters will become move avaible.

Country
    United Arab Emirates

As a Midwife, this thread is very interesting from my point of view within a clinical setting. We routinely respond to compromised patients by, amongst other interventions, providing 100% O2 for up to and beyond 4 hrs.

This is often initiated by the Midwife whilst awaiting medical personnel to attend in the case of an emergency. Although it's not often realistically carried out, O2 is classed as a drug and should be prescribed by a Doctor.

I wonder what implications this will have in clinical practice as well as the impact these findings will have outside of a hospital... I'll have to keep my ear to the ground on this subject!

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

We are only talking about near drownings here and I haven't seen other studies other that those about Ant-Occidents and the fact that O2 is a poisons by product of all that is green! I think in the scope of this conversation it is about the reflective actions the body goes through when drowning! For other cases it is about keeping the brain cells flooded with O2 so that it enriches the blood that is MOVING through the system loaded with O2. I can't see a reason not to continue that practice. Having said that the above mentioned study did look at Heart attack victims in the ER, but again their hearts had stopped! It will take years of studies to change existing procedures!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

We are only talking about near drownings? I took it from the study they were talking about any use of 100% O2.