Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Study claims 100% o2 is harmful

Default Study claims 100% o2 is harmful

From the UCLA NewsRoom

UCLA Study Reveals Why Bad Things Happen Inside the Brain When We Inhale Pure Oxygen

By Elaine Schmidt | 5/21/2007 5:29:15 PM
    It's a scenario straight out of "Grey's Anatomy"— a paramedic or doctor plops a mask over the face of a person struggling to breathe and begins dispensing pure oxygen.

Yet growing research suggests that inhaling straight oxygen can actually harm the brain. For the first time, a new UCLA brain-imaging study reveals why. Published in the May 22 edition of the journal Public Library of Science (PLoS) Medicine, the findings fly in the face of national guidelines for medical practice and recommend a new approach that adds carbon dioxide to the mix to preserve brain function in patients.

"For decades, the medical community has championed 100 percent oxygen as the gold standard for resuscitation. But no one has reported what happens inside our brains when we inhale pure oxygen," said Ronald Harper, distinguished professor of neurobiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. "What we discovered adds to a compelling body of evidence for modifying a widely practiced standard of care in the United States."

Harper's team used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to capture detailed pictures of what occurs inside the human brain during two different breathing scenarios. The technique detects subtle increases in blood flow triggered by the activation of different parts of the brain, causing these regions to glow or light up on the color scan.

The researchers scanned the brains of 14 healthy children, ages 8 to 15, and monitored their breathing and heart rates as they inhaled 100 percent oxygen through a mouthpiece for two minutes. After waiting eight minutes for the youngsters' breathing to return to normal, the team added 5 percent carbon dioxide to the gas mixture and repeated the scan.

A comparison of the two scans revealed dramatic differences.

"When the children inhaled pure oxygen, their breathing quickened, resulting in the rapid exhalation of carbon dioxide from their bodies," said study co-author Paul Macey, a UCLA associate researcher in neurobiology. "The drop in carbon dioxide narrowed their blood vessels, preventing oxygen from reaching tissue in the brain and heart."

That's when something surprising happened on the MRI scan. Three brain structures suddenly lit up: the hippocampus, which helps control blood pressure; the cingulate cortex, which regulates pain perception and blood pressure; and the insula, which monitors physical and emotional stress.

All this activity awakened the hypothalamus, which regulates heart rate and hormonal outflow. Activation of the hypothalamus triggered a cascade of harmful reactions and released chemicals that can injure the brain and heart over time.

"Several brain areas responded to 100 percent oxygen by kicking the hypothalamus into overdrive," explained Harper. "The hypothalamus overreacted by dumping a massive flood of hormones and neurotransmitters into the bloodstream. These chemicals interfere with the heart's ability to pump blood and deliver oxygen — the opposite effect you want when you're trying to resuscitate someone."

When the children inhaled the carbon dioxide–oxygen mix, the hypothalamus' hyperactivity vanished from the MRI scan.

"Adding carbon dioxide to the oxygen relaxed the blood vessels, allowed oxygen to reach the heart and brain, calmed the hypothalamus and slowed the release of dangerous chemicals," Macey said.

"Pure oxygen kindles the match that fuels a forest fire of harm to the body," Harper said. "But a little whiff of carbon dioxide makes it all go away."

Based on their findings, the researchers strongly encourage health care providers to add carbon dioxide to oxygen dispensation, especially when resuscitating infants or administering oxygen for more than a few minutes. The new direction could hold particular implications for patients of stroke, heart attack, carbon monoxide poisoning and any long-term oxygen therapy.

"When in doubt about a case, the current medical approach is to increase oxygen levels and wait to see if the patient improves," explained Harper. "But no one has ever scanned patients' brains to examine how they respond to oxygen therapy."

Earlier data on high oxygen's harmful effects have already resulted in policy changes overseas. Instead of using straight oxygen, many European hospitals now resuscitate patients with room air, which contains a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide, or with a blend of oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Mary Woo, professor at the UCLA School of Nursing, was a co-author of the study, which was supported by the National Institute of Child Health and Development.

-UCLA-

Country
    Canada

very interesting, thank you for sharing.

smurf

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

They have also noticed changes in cells exposed to 100% O2 that is not healthy to the heart. Many years ago we had a near drowning on a beach dive. We pulled the diver from the surf and had him stabilized and breathing on the beach. The Life Guards arrived and administered 100% O2 and he freaked out and went nuts like a seizure! I always felt that they flushed out the CO2 in his system which took away his breathing reflex triggered by CO2. The idea the the brain triggers the sudden rush of adrenaline to help the body try to breath was always my theory! That was 1974! Glad to see we are always looking at the "Tried and true" methods, you never know what might really make a difference! We used to believe "Bleeding" was the best way to get the "Bad Blood" out! Never stop learning!

There was an article about death on a cellular level that basically stated that death is a slow process and that many cells in our bodies live for a long time in our bodies like hibernation. It spoke of O2 waking them up and them dying at a faster rate! If I find it again I will post a link!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

I knew that 100% O2 is bad for extended periods of time but after reading that I guess it's bad all together. It still feels great, ever if it's "bad" but there are always much worse things we can do for our body. Now I wonder how long it will take before CO2 is going to be mixed into medical O2 tanks.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Very interesting. What are the implications then where you would normally use 100% as a deco gas? (This is where somebody smart is supposed to chime in)

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    Very interesting. What are the implications then where you would normally use 100% as a deco gas? (This is where somebody smart is supposed to chime in)
    You are looking at a totally different scenario there snake, since your body is already pre-loaded with CO2, and you are still being subjected to increased presuure (a little still goes a long way thing.)

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

If we are talking ambient air then less than .005% CO2 in the human exhale we are looking at 1.9% plus our minus depending on load! Not MUCH!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

I was thinking about it, and for the medical there is a very simple fix. Stop using non-rebreater masks (the kind with the resivor bag) and start using rebreater masks which give the patient about 95%O2 instead of the 99-100% with the non-rebreater masks.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I just re-certified my O2 Administrator and we were taught to use re-breather mask from the start! This might be the new thinking!

Well I guess that's good to hear, I just went through an EMT recert and all that most medical agencies (medics, lifeguards, even police who were in the class) used were either non-rebreater or on very rare occasions nasal canuals. I know that's all we carry on our trucks where I work, but maybe with time rebreaters will become move avaible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast