Thread: Gear Trailers

Default Gear Trailers

I'm looking at setting up a trailer for our longer hauls. I used a large one last year but it blew my gas mileage out the door -- i want to set one up that is no bigger than the profile of my Dodge 1500 with Cap ........ needs to be a dual axel to haul all the gear ....

anyone have any ideas or existing trailers with some pix i can look at ?

cheers
    Joel Silverstein, VP COO
    Tech Diving Limited - Everything Tech
    Scuba Diving Limited - Everything Rec
    New Playground

Registered Users

Joel,

It is a matter of getting a curved front to your trailer. I have a turbo diesel pickup, and towing stuff doesn't seem to affect mileage all that much.

But here are some aerodynamic trailers. The smaller one probably won't fit your bill, as you asked for dual axle, but it's the most aerodynamic one I've seen to date.
    Attached Images Attached Images

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Theres a heap of guys down here with them set up for cave diving. Some pretty basic box trailers up to full stainless chequer plate with compressors O2 bottles and enough gear to make a dive shop cry(or smile if you sold it all to them). Might be able to get some info from the CDAA website but most of them are single axle and set up a bit higher for rougher tracks.

Matt

I think i am going to look at the smaller "motorcycle" style boxes --they are 6x12 and can come dual axel. I have to haul close to 50 cylinders sometimes. Though the Wells Cargo box in that style is only 5'6" inside just 6 inches short for me. I might have to get one custom built --- The key for me is to have the profile not slam through the air but get caught right under the slipstream. (oh LUVLUVLUVLUV did i say slipstream?) ...

I was using an 8x14 and it took my fuel from 18mpg down to 9mpg what I saved last year by borrowing this beast i spent in fuel and hotels (I would lose 2 hours a day drive time too)

If anyone has any cool interior pics of dive trailers I would appreciate that too.

cheers
    Joel Silverstein, VP COO
    Tech Diving Limited - Everything Tech
    Scuba Diving Limited - Everything Rec
    New Playground