Thread: Hola, anyone?

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Default Hola, anyone?

You can't tell me I'm the only Prism diver on here . . .

Country
    USA

Hello Bill,

I think you may be flying solo on that one. I video interviewed Peter Readey on the new Hollis/Prism at DEMA......looks like it will be a good match between Peter and Sharon and the Oceanic folks.

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I chose it because I think he's got the best design. I'll be interested to see what happens when a major manufacturer gets ahold of it.

Country
    USA

Bill, we interviewed Bob Hollis and Pete Readey about it, and there will not be much in the way of changes.

The diluent/oxygen loop direction has been changed, the tertiary PO2 display will be solid state, which yours might be already, but they are switching over to injection molded engineered plastics rather than machining heavy stuff.

The shell looks new to me.

They've always said they were going to integrate their Datamask to their CCR.

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I'm not crazy about reversing the loop flow but I do understand that everyone else has it that way.

A bunch of us have been using digital P02 meters made by my friend Carl at Sartek, it is helpful to see all three cells simultaneously.

As for the datamask, I love the Prism electronics the way they are -- simple and easy to understand. If I'm not mistaken it's the only machine with a heads up PRIMARY.

Country
    USA

The Visions electronics on the Inspiration are also a primary display.

Now if only everyone would come out with a heads up display like the one that looks like a mini TV tube SM had that they called a heads down display.....had numerical readouts in it......

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    The Visions electronics on the Inspiration are also a primary display.

Now if only everyone would come out with a heads up display like the one that looks like a mini TV tube SM had that they called a heads down display.....had numerical readouts in it......
    I really like the Prism's steady green light letting you know you're on your setpoint.

Country
    USA

The Vision HUD has that, but the green light underwater looks more like yellow underwater to me....

Do you have a solid state tertiary P02 readout? I know early units had the jeweled display. I like that the Prism operator can do a direct readout of all cells in the event of total electronics failure.

Do you put any weights on the unit?

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Sorry, I've had the flu and am just now crawing out of my coffin.

Carl at Sartek has built some slick digital secondaries that allow you to see all three sensors at the same time. I've done a couple of dives with it and I think it gives you a better idea of what's going on with the sensors.

The Peter philosophy on the analog secondary is that it will work even if the battery cap floods, which is a valid point. The digital one will too, but of course it's got a battery in it. I haven't had any trouble with my stock analog one, but they are supposed to be delicate.

As for weight, the Prism is a pretty light unit, which is a good thing overall. It does have a big loop volume. Some people have tried to solve weighting issues by using big steel backplates but as I hate backmount anyway, I didn't want to do that. I trained on a rig set up with one and struggled to trim it out, as too much of the weight was down low.

When I got my rig, I took it straight down to cave country and spent some time getting it sorted out, and it really helped me to improve the trim. I'm using a homemade composite backplate that I inherited from my friend which works really well. It's got a lead bar across the top that we sand casted that probably weighs 7 pounds, and in fresh water, I put a fiver in each counterlung. In salt water, it depends on what kind of suit I'm wearing but I add some weight into the cumberbund pockets.