And this is valid in just about any destination, but the situation is much worse on Dominica -

Women are targets of the locals. I was ripped off by a local there, who was "helping me" build a house for my retirement! Apparently, I wasn't the only one, and once I started discussing my experience, discovered that the problem is RAMPANT, especially on Dominica!

I'm going to court in September to try to get some of my $20K back. Another woman was ripped off by the same scuba instructor for about $3K. I helped a divemaster there get a new computer, and he even signed a contract for repayment, and has not repaid - that's the next legal action, once I resolve the first one.

The locals are VERY smooth about this. My experience with taking groups is that some of the businesses will try to rip off tourists as well! I always negotiated a price for my groups before I booked the trip, obviously. But very often, the price we were charged when leaving at the end of the trip was not what was quoted. I was always able to get the price we agreed to, because I take copies of the correspondence with me! But there are frequently "extra" charges to beware of. I recommend getting an all-inclusive price when you go, and look over your bill at the end of the trip very carefully.