Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New steel tank for xmas any good?

Registered Users
    City
    philly burbs
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    USA

Default New steel tank for xmas any good?

I was suprised to find a new worthington x7 series 100 steel tank under the christmas tree. I was wondering if it is a good tank and should i keep it?
    I have 10 more days to return it for a full refund. It came with a standard valve and plastic tank base. I dive with a seaquest pro qd BC with i3 (size large) if that makes a difference. Most of my diving with this tank will be in quarries, the great lakes, N.J. and possibly N.C. any further traveling will most likely be by plane and the tank will be staying home. My brother (the purchaser) said he researched it and this was the most popular steel tank out there. It seems to be a good tank but any advice from some more would be helpful.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I personally would LOVE to have that. It is nice because it gives you a good amount of air above the standard 80. It will also help to take some weight off your bc or belt.

I must say that a cylinder would definately be the last large piece of gear I would buy. If you have everything else, then perfect. The other thing is it was a gift, maybe you should just accept the gift and enjoy it.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

I have four Worthington steel 100's and couldn't be happier. Ace is right that you will be able to drop a lot of lead off your belt - I drop eight pounds versus using an aluminum tank. And having 100 cubic feet of air is 20 percent more dive time per tank than 80cf. Be very happy with the gift.

And, yes, tanks stay home when travelling by air. Weights and tanks are always provided by dive ops.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by rsh110 View Post
    I was suprised to find a new worthington x7 series 100 steel tank under the christmas tree. I was wondering if it is a good tank and should i keep it?
    I have 10 more days to return it for a full refund. It came with a standard valve and plastic tank base. I dive with a seaquest pro qd BC with i3 (size large) if that makes a difference. Most of my diving with this tank will be in quarries, the great lakes, N.J. and possibly N.C. any further traveling will most likely be by plane and the tank will be staying home. My brother (the purchaser) said he researched it and this was the most popular steel tank out there. It seems to be a good tank but any advice from some more would be helpful.

I think you should get rid of then immediately!!!! (I'll PM my address, so not to confuse you) They are not the right tank for you (for me, that's another story) I promise I'll use them far better than you ever could, so send them on down!!!!!

Country
    USA

Before Amtrosie gets them, we need to make sure they are safe, so please ship them one-way to us for inspection.

If they prove safe, then kindly remit $400 a piece for return shipping.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I'll check them for $350!

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

I would also VERY gladly take it off your hands

Now you just need another one to double them up!

Registered Users
    City
    philly burbs
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    USA

Sounds like this tank is a keeper!!!!!! It just need a twin brother to keep it company!! thanks for the input everyone, oh and by the way, i think i will just have my local shop check it out for me they are just slightly cheaper in inspection prices and I wouldn't want to incur any outrageous shipping charges!!!!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

well, if you shipped it, then you would have to reinspect it as shipping requires you to remove the valve and the inspection is required any time the cylinder is completely emptied (any time the valve is removed).

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by rsh110 View Post
    Sounds like this tank is a keeper!!!!!! It just need a twin brother to keep it company!! thanks for the input everyone, oh and by the way, i think i will just have my local shop check it out for me they are just slightly cheaper in inspection prices and I wouldn't want to incur any outrageous shipping charges!!!!

No need to take it to your LDS, for I am a professional. I'll inspect it for you and everything, after all I am a certified scuba tank Inspector. I am not saying it will not take a looooooooooong time to return it, provided it doesn't get lost in the mail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast