Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling Cold..in the caribbean

City
    Reading
    State
    Berkshire
    Country
    England

[QUOTE=lottie;9541]Oh, I remember that very well...A couple of years ago I did the last of my food shopping at about midnight or thereabouts...there was literally noone in Tescos (and it was a 24 hour opening)...now that was great..wish they did that over here....the shops are packed like anything and the aisles are soo narrow as well...and they don't have all those yummy goodies that ar ein the UK (boxes of chocolates, fancy hors d'oeuvres, mini party packs).....

This morning on breakfast TV they were talking about the UK being a very multi-cultural country and that we shouldn't think of turkey being the traditional Christmas fayre. When I saw your post it got me wondering... how do people in the Caribbean celebrate Christmas? What do they have to eat? (You can reply in a private message if you like.) I am fascinated to know!

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

When I taught in Hawaii, I wore a full surf suit (3/16") in the wintertime even though the water may have been 80. I could make a single dive without a wetsuit, that was easy. My body is still about 100 degrees; making 4 dives or more per day, required additional coverage.

Maybe a polypropylene suit would help.
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
    When I saw your post it got me wondering... how do people in the Caribbean celebrate Christmas? What do they have to eat? (You can reply in a private message if you like.) I am fascinated to know!

Don't reply privately, I would like to know as well. I am pretty sure that Lottie does not celebrate Christmas, but of course she surely does notice what others are doing.

HEY!! I get cold in a hot tub!
    I dive in 80+ degree water and I always wear at least a
    3mm wetsuit. I also wear a neoprene beanie. If the water gets towards 79 degrees, I'll add a core warmer (a shorty wetsuit underneath).

The beanie goes a long way to helping hold some heat. I get so cold because, taking pictures, I am still for long periods of time and move very slowly.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Allison - I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets cold in warm waters

I think i'll definitely have to invest in a beanie....Is the core warmer, the 1mil shorty? I think i've seen one for sale at the shop (not sure whether its my size, but if it is...even the more better for me )
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

A core warmer can be anything that adds some thermal protection to the core of your body. A short wetsuit will do the trick. They also sell something that might work well for you, it is a hooded vest. It will give you the hood and the core warmer in one.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    They also sell something that might work well for you, it is a hooded vest. It will give you the hood and the core warmer in one.
    This would keep you very toasty. I have a 5/3 hooded vest that I wear under my 7mm in very cold water. It works great. For tropical diving something more in the 1-2mm range might be just the ticket for you.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

I don't really want a full hood...i'd feel too claustrophobic thats why I think a beanie would be sufficient....plus gotta think of those ears
    Lottie

Not wanting to sound like an advertisement....I use a core warmer by Henderson. It is very stretchy, has farmer john type straps which are so much easier to get into than sleeves, and it is nice enough to wear alone while snorkeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12