Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Cold..in the caribbean

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Question Feeling Cold..in the caribbean

Yeah, I know..seems like an oxymoron doesn't it!

But, I was cold - I did the wreck dive, had an SI on the boat for an hour, then did the second dive.

During the second dive, I felt cold and I mean cold..the water temps (according to my dive comp) said 27C (about 84F) and I was cold, i felt shivery, my finger tips were feeling numb and i came up after 20 minutes.

I wear a 3mil long wetsuit, on the SI, I only pulled it down to my waist and felt fine.
    Another thing that surprised me as well was that the dive leader was wearing a 7mil, plus hood and he said that the water temps are normally cooler from November to february!!!

A friend of mine is coming over and we will be doing the wreck again in 3 weeks time.
    So anyone got any ideas as to what I can/could do so that I don't feel cold when doing the second dive?? - If I wore a shorty over my wetsuit for the second dive - would that be sufficient?

Thanks
    Lottie

Registered Users

once you get acclimatized to the local waters your core body temperature tolerance adjusts to it, thats why drysuits and underwear are used in Mexico and Florida in the caves. Recent trip to the Keys the locals thought I was nuts diving a 3mm shorty in nov while most of them were diving in 3/5 suits. Do what we do in the great white north, bring a thermos of hot water for the second dive and pour it in your suit.
    No alais Dive Chat in Ontario www.ontariodiving.com
    My Photo site all images copyrighted and permission needed to use.

and of course my site

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Lottie,
    Do you use a hood ?

If you think about how much body heat escapes through the top of your head. I've met divers who can dive in waters, much colder than yours, wearing T-shirt, board shorts and a hood, and have been perfectly happy. Obviously, everybody is different and ,as already mentioned, we all acclimatise to the local conditions. In the UK, I used to dive in waters down to 6c without issues, here in West Oz I usually dive in waters of 22c. A couple of weeks ago I went to Tasmania to dive the Kelp forests and was freezing in water of 12c. it just goes to show
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Lottie,

I have a neoprene vest that I bring with me to the tropics. I also bring a raincoat to keep the wind out even in SE Asia or the Carib. The thermos is a good idea, but I'd rather drink it during my SI than dump it in my wetsuit.

If you don't mind hoods, it would be the most effective. & I'm always freezing no matter where in the world I dive. Heck, I can even get cold in a hot tub

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

The hood is a good idea. On our recent run to the Keys, LadyDog was getting chilled on our deep dives. We stopped in a dive shop and picked up a 2 mil hood for her and she was toasty warm. They really make a big difference.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I agree with Mountain Dog and Rubber Chicken,

Get yourself a comfortable hood and you should notice a major increase in your warmth. You can also get some neoprene gloves and boots if you don't already have them.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Hey guys, thanks for the info.

I think the idea about getting a hood is a good one and will definitely order one (probably wont arrive in time for the 11th Jan). I think I'll also take a thermos (but not to drop down my wetsuit - just to drink)

As RubberChicken said it's amazing how quickly you acclimatize to the conditions. It's been cold here for the past couple of days and last night I was still freezing and wore PJs and socks in bed...I just spoke to my friend thats coming over and her response when I told her "you're mad!!!!"
    Lottie

City
    Reading
    State
    Berkshire
    Country
    England

Gosh Lottie - how are you going to survive in the UK when you come back in March! LOL You must be going soft!

I remember the only time I dived in the UK we were told that you keep warmer if you keep your suit on rather than take it down and that if you put a thin rain coat over the top (you know the sort the packamac things) then that keeps the wind chill off too. A hot drink and a hood though sound excellent ideas. However, you will need to toughen up for the UK!

Here's something to make you feel warm - we went to do the final food shop for Christmas at 6am this morning (wanted to beat the crowds)! We had to de-ice the car first, it was very foggy and the temp on the dashboard said -1.5 - now I'm sure you feel very hot again!!!!!
    Last edited by bubbles; 12-22-2007 at 09:19 PM.

If you drink some hot liquid from a thermos rather than pouring it down your suit, doesn't it ultimately end up in your suit anyway?

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
    Here's something to make you feel warm - we went to do the final food shop for Christmas at 6am this morning (wanted to beat the crowds)! We had to de-ice the car first, it was very foggy and the temp on the dashboard said -1.5 - now I'm sure you feel very hot again!!!!!
    Oh, I remember that very well...A couple of years ago I did the last of my food shopping at about midnight or thereabouts...there was literally noone in Tescos (and it was a 24 hour opening)...now that was great..wish they did that over here....the shops are packed like anything and the aisles are soo narrow as well...and they don't have all those yummy goodies that ar ein the UK (boxes of chocolates, fancy hors d'oeuvres, mini party packs).....

iDC - ha ha ha ha ha...thats a good one..but just because it'll go in while i'm wearing the wetsuit...it definitely won't be coming out while i'm in the wetsuit
    Lottie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast