Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Characters you meet diving

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Talking Characters you meet diving

Describe the most memorable/unique/strange/scary people [good and bad] you've met on land or in the water.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

God I am glad no one on this board has ever been diving with me I did not earn my title of Gobwats (grumpy old ba$t@rd with all the scars) for nothing. Since I usually dive solo, do I count as my own strangest/scariest

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    Gobwats (grumpy old ba$t@rd with all the scars)
    ROFL = that's a good nickname, unique in fact

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    God I am glad no one on this board has ever been diving with me
    There's always a first time for anything Bama...

Back to the OP - I don't think (thus far..touchwood) that i've met any memorable/strange/scary peeps while diving..well some of the boat guys/DMs/Instructors where I go could be classed into a variety of those (i'm only joking - they're all lovely really )
    Last edited by lottie; 12-17-2007 at 11:21 PM.
    Lottie

What if we chage it a little, who would you vote as strange on the board?
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    What if we chage it a little, who would you vote as strange on the board?
    You can have my vote in that category Daddy-H20

I came up with the acronymn Lottie after several younger cave divers at a spot I frequent started figuring out who I was; one actually said, "oh, so you're the grumpy old b@$t@rd with all the scars." Joked about it once to some who knew me too well, and have been gobwats evwer since

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

OO.. well... there are a few characters up this way... One I won't even bother touching on....

Another though, was a fella we met while doing a shore dive in Rockport. It's about a 12 minute swim out to a wreck, with a maximum depth of about 90'. We saw the guy get in the water, and we were just about ready to get in ourselves. Finally, out we go... to see... uh.. silt... and lots of it...

We are almost at the wreck, and the silt is thicker... we see this fella, and he's rolling around, trying to get his fins on... Apparently, his claim to fame is that he's a bottom walker... He walks to the wreck, puts his fins on, and goes for his dive...

Yanno... I always wondered where those foot prints came from....

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

Aha! So that's it! Where all that mysterious silt comes from when there are no other boats in the vicinity, & it's otherwise really really clear!

There's always that debate about swimming vs. spending the $ to charter out to that wreck. Now about that "walking"...Chantelle, please bonk him on the head with your weight pack the next time you see him.

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

ROFL.. yeah.. Steve actually went up to him and gave him a "***?" The guy was pretty pleased with himself, and didn't mind that we were a little miffed...

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

Oh really? To bad the toilet's gone or I'll see to his being pleased with himself...need to show some guys how exactly NOT to run lines on a wreck

Nothing dangerous of course... He can always "walk" the toilet that's tied to his a** back to shore....

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

You just mentioning about a toilet reminds me of when I did the wreck dive a couple of months ago.
    The wreck is a 156ft freighter that was intentially sunk back in 1986, as you swim around the bottom of the ship, there's an old ceramic sink nestled in the sand.

So the DM (who's also on the National St Lucia Cricket Team), takes off his mask and places his hands under where the taps are/were and makes out that he's washing his face...I was in complete hysterics. It was the talk of the dive on the boat for the whole 60 minute SI before the second dive.... I just wish I had a camera at the time
    Lottie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast