Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Dive Master Requirements - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dive Master Requirements

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    I will begin researching your recommendations. Unfortunately, I will
    not be available for the long distrance travel until around August
    my time of the year. Your earlier post mentioned THIS is the time
    to come. What't it like in August?
    Typhoon season but that doesn't mean there's no diving to be had in the Philippines. We simply fly to the Visayas. (I live and work in Manila, that's in Luzon.)

Last year, Sea Explorers Cebu head office (email cebu@sea-explorers.com) arranged for my group's 3-day dives in Malapascua (as well as the 3-hour van trip from Cebu International Airport to Maya wharf and then the half-hour boat transfer to the island upon our request).

We stayed at Cocobana but Sea Explorers Malapascua recommended Sunsplash and Hippocampus too.

For the dives, we entered the water at 6 a.m. to get settled on Monad Shoal for some waiting (lucked upon a 12-foot thresher shark). Back to the same site at 2 p.m. for the mantas (ours was a 20-footer, so close I could see the cleaner wrasses in its mouth).

At 6 p.m., backrolled at Lighthouse for the seahorses. (I remember that, halfway, we found ourselves really "swaying" underwater. Turns out a storm had hit the surface! Our poor kapitan, unwilling to pull out the anchor because we were still on our dive, had to contend with a broken outrigger. He somehow got us to shore. So, yes, I admire the crew.)

Also, if Sea Explorer decides the weather is right for it, they'll take you diving at Gato Island, famous for its black and white banded seasnakes and more sharks, and the microlife too.

As an alternative, since you're open to up to 8 days of diving, you may want to inquire about Sea Explorers' "island hopping," possible with their six dive centers. Their diveboat can take you from one center to the next, allowing you to dive the best sites en route. Check http://www.sea-explorers.com/hopping.html

Hope these help
    Last edited by PinayDiver; 04-17-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: remembered to put in the QUOTE
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

deal! than-x lars. when i dive any where near lynnwood, i dive the edmonds underwater park and the edmonds oil dock. i'm still wondering where cove 2 is, i moved here to the everett area just over 3 years ago, and never been there yet.
    Last edited by jeff98208; 04-17-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Registered Users

As a PADI DM, you will be
    eligable to teach a number of classes.
    Some of my favorites are Discover Scuba (After you have been certified to teach it as a DM)
    as well as Scuba Review for those already certified.
    Since when is a DM eligible/qualified/authorized to TEACH a Discover Scuba class? You may want to check your standards again on that one.

What other classes do you think you a re eligible to teach as a DM?

Registered Users

Default Discover Scuba

Bing,
    Are you asking which year PADI allowed their DM's to teach Discover Scuba or are you implying DM (that are certified to teach Discover Scuba) are, as a
    DM not allowed to perform a Discover Scuba?

If you are asking which year, I suggest you contact PADI yourself.
    You should check the Instructor manual under Discover Scuba. It quotes,
    under Member Qualifications. You do have a current PADI Instructor Guide, don't you?

Very encouraging... Your post appear argumentative.. Are you not happy?
    Are you sour with life and people in general? Are you a know it all?
    Try calming down a bit on your tone, in all your posts. Unless it is
    the only way you can get people to post replies to yours.. This will be my last.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

Bing,
    Are you asking which year PADI allowed their DM's to teach Discover Scuba or are you implying DM (that are certified to teach Discover Scuba) are, as a
    DM not allowed to perform a Discover Scuba?

If you are asking which year, I suggest you contact PADI yourself.
    You should check the Instructor manual under Discover Scuba. It quotes,
    under Member Qualifications. You do have a current PADI Instructor Guide, don't you?

Very encouraging... Your post appear argumentative.. Are you not happy?
    Are you sour with life and people in general? Are you a know it all?
    Try calming down a bit on your tone, in all your posts. Unless it is
    the only way you can get people to post replies to yours.. This will be my last.
    I'm a very happy person but don't appreciate or let slide clear standards violations and misinformation. I don't need to check my Instructor Manual, I know my standards, especially the most basic ones.

DM's CANNOT TEACH Discover Scuba Diving. They CAN lead Discover students on subsequent discover dives, but they cannot TEACH the initial course. Check your standards.

I guess it's easy for you to post your misinformation on this board with the low traffic, but you would be eaten alive on some of the other boards with this nonsense.
    Last edited by CaptainBing; 04-18-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Diver / Poi Enthusiast santelmo's Avatar
    City
    Quezon City / Puerto Princesa
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by PinayDiver View Post
    Typhoon season but that doesn't mean there's no diving to be had in the Philippines.
    correct! here in Palawan it's always summer (well almost)

hey... hey.... be nice....

Registered Users

I have to finish up my Rescue Diver course and then start my Divemaster course. The Divemaster course looks like its so much fun quite a bit of work.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by 86diver View Post
    The Divemaster course looks like [,,,] quite a bit of work.
    Thats the understatement of the year!!! - it looks like ALOT of work....(I just got the books and i'm thinking OMG!!)
    Lottie

Quote Originally Posted by santelmo View Post
    if you are a DM or SI here in the Philippines you get discounts, free dives and dive resort accommodations, food, etc.
    So are you saying that I won't have any problem finding ways to supplement my income and enjoy my habit (diving) if I have my DM and am living in the Philippines?

3 years, 11 months and two days to retirement

Diver / Poi Enthusiast santelmo's Avatar
    City
    Quezon City / Puerto Princesa
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

yup... a lot of competition among dive resorts...they would give DM's and especially SI's free accomodation and other stuff just to get them to bring their students/ divers to that resort.

try to make yourself more popular by frequenting a dive resort and by bringing your dive buddies and students...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast