Thread: Dive Master Requirements

Hi Santelmo! Welcome back!

Registered Users
    City
    Moalboal
    Country
    rp

Smile

Wow the tone on the year old post was pretty harsh so I thought I would clear up any confusion on the DM teaching Discover SCUBA issue:

Its true and you can find it on Page 3 of the DSD Inst Manual, I am paraphrasing but the DM must complete a DSD Internship where they teach 4 courses under direct supervision and then they can apply for authorization.

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBA411 View Post
    Its true and you can find it on Page 3 of the DSD Inst Manual, I am paraphrasing but the DM must complete a DSD Internship where they teach 4 courses under direct supervision and then they can apply for authorization.
    In fact the DM CD comes with the PDF form to fill out for the DM's to do the DSD class along with the others for applying for DM Status. The DSD is one of the classes I want to take over at my LDS when I finish my DMC so I'm looking forward to it.
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

City
    Yarrow
    State
    British Columbia
    Country
    Canada

Default Warm or Cold

So at age 50 I decided to take on the DM course (that which does not kill you makes you stronger philosophy). Where is the best place to take it. I am out here on the west coast of BC and the "coldwater" centres suggest taking the course here as it well make you a better DM and you can dive anywhere. The "warmwater" centres suggest to do it in Florida keys, Thailand etc as these venues provide a more "friendlier environment (can concentrate on learning as opposed to dealing with issues like viz, coldwater and bulky drysuit). I know I there will be many differnt comments but I guess this is what this forum is about...

Registered Users
    City
    Moalboal
    Country
    rp

Pax,
    IMHO I think the answer really depends on what you are going to do with the CERT. If it is primarily for experience and making you are better diver, and the majority of your diving is going to be in your home stomping grounds, the I would take it at the LDS. On the other hand if your interested in turning it into an avocation when you retire in some warm tropical paradise then I would take it in places like the Caribean, Thailand or Philippines. This will give you the opportunity to experience the life style (without commiting to it). I think you can find quality instruction in just about any location. I hope this helps.

I cant recommend Thailand highly enough and there is not much cold water there either (their high season is from Nov - March approximately)

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    So at age 50 I decided to take on the DM course (that which does not kill you makes you stronger philosophy). Where is the best place to take it. I am out here on the west coast of BC and the "coldwater" centres suggest taking the course here as it well make you a better DM and you can dive anywhere. The "warmwater" centres suggest to do it in Florida keys, Thailand etc as these venues provide a more "friendlier environment (can concentrate on learning as opposed to dealing with issues like viz, coldwater and bulky drysuit). I know I there will be many differnt comments but I guess this is what this forum is about...
    Maybe I'm just weak, but I'd much rather dive in a warm, tropical location. Will you end up less prepared as a diver? Probably. Will you be warm and happy on a beach with a beer in hand? Probably.

Country
    USA

Same here Samtihen, ...I dive tropical exclusively now as I am spoiled!
    SMN Publisher

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345