Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
....<snip>.. I cleared his mask for him (bonus points if you non-Instructors know how)...<snip>

I don't qualify for bonus points but how do you do this ?

My worst dive, ( well, probably not worst but it definitely got my pulse racing), was very similar.
Myself, as DM, the instructor and single student. An incredibly sweet, and incredibly petite 10 year old girl. We had found a lovely little site, good viz, clear sandy bottom, about 9m deep for her skills. Time for reg recovery. The instructor is in front of her and I am off to one side.
She performed the skill flawlessly until she got the reg back in her mouth, where, by virtue of being out of breath she used the purge button to clear it. No problem! except that the force of the air against her tongue and teeth pushed the reg back out of her mouth. ( we think that part of the problem was the size of the mouthpiece, being for adults, was slightly too large for her). At this point she dropped the reg and simply froze! Within a heartbeat, she had 2 occies presented to her and by unsignalled agreement, mine was forced into her face with the purge firmly depressed and the instructor began to rythmically punch her in the stomach as we both grabbed a shouler strap and finned to the surface. Within a minute, we had her back on the boat, dekitted and wrapped up in blankets. She was absolutely fine, apart from complaining of being cold and seemingly unaware of the near heart attack that she had induced in us both.
Once we had reassured ourselves of her well-being, we both looked at each other, simultaneously let out a long breath, went completely white and slumped down onto the bench where we sat, still fully kitted up, staring into space for the next 10 minutes until the skipper handed us a hot drink and told us to "embrace the suck!".

By no means the worst dive I've ever done, but still the one that occasionally wakes me up at night.