Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to Dive in Cuba?

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

I've been to Cayo Largo and it's gorgeous. Will post a trip report soon in the Cuba section Went in Dec and the weather was a little windy but otherwise perfect. When planning a trip, just remember that hurricane do hit Cuba & hurricane season is May-Nov
    Last edited by littleleemur; 12-13-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo - hurricane dates! :p

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelle View Post
    Hmm.. I noticed that image links don't work here

They work here fine.
    Thanks for the pics.

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    When planning a trip, just remember that hurricane do hit Cuba & hurricane season is Nov-May
    Isn't it from June to November?

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Yes - offically the season starts 1st June til 30th November...but August and September are the main months that hurricanes can occur.
    Lottie

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

ooops, typo! Changed that in my post

Thanks for pointing it out Chantelle

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Glad to be of assistance *bows*

Both times I went, it was either the last week in May, or the first two weeks in June, and it was absolutely perfect!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Can you tell us more about the resorts? What were the accomodations like, etc.? And costs? Did you go down as a group? Do they have group rates?

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

The resort in Cayo Guillermo was pretty basic. The people were very friendly and accomodating, but it was pretty much like hanging out in your back yard. Nothing fancy at all. The food was pretty bland, and beef was hard to come by (wait 'til you see the cows there.. no grass to feed on and food is expensive.. and they run wild in the 'streets' with the horses). The accomodations were also basic, but they were clean, and the cleaning people were really wonderful. We brought little things to leave in the room for them, to which they were very greatful. I would have returned to this place, as it was a nice, relaxing place to go, but not for a two week stay.

Jibacoa gets my vote all around. The entertainment staff were always planning things during the day, and would get to know most of the guests during their stay. This is where we opted for a two week stay. The resort was top notch, as was the food. There was a different theme to the buffet every evening (eg. Mexican food night, American Food night, Italian etc..). The staff would all dress up, and during Mexican night, there were maracas, mariachi bands, and alot of fun. They also had shows every night, for those that wanted to come out, by the pool area, on a big stage. I actually ended up singing there (I sing) as well. They recorded it and wanted to keep the tape to play there. Just an awesome place all around, and the staff really treat you like part of the family. Every night after the shows, they'd end things off with the Sun Dance... I even bought the CD, but I can't remember how the whole thing goes... There are dance lessons every day, volleyball tournaments... hockey.. if you can imagine that.. even beach darts. There is a gym as well, attached to the dive shop, where you can work out on your own, or even take a pilates class. The dive shop is pretty small, but the crew are pretty wonderful.... ahhh... pftt.. now I really DO need to go back...I think I left a piece of me back there!!! Oh yeah.. and there's a disco there too, that is pretty fun.. oo.. and a piano bar. They have a couple of people that take turns at night, where you all sit around the piano bar and sing along. It's just freakin' awesome.....

Oh yeah.. and I'm not sure about group rates, there were just two of us. I actually have pics of alot of the staff there.. they were incredible. There was one lady who would make sure she had a couple of oranges by the beach bar, and make me freshly squeezed orange juice for my vodka...

The story doesn't seem to end here.... They also had trips that you could take into Havana. We opted not to go the tourist route, but to hire a taxi driver to take us in for the day. A much better option in my opinion. He showed us all of the cool spots, and even took us off the beaten path (really off the path.. like.. offroading...) to show us some really beautiful caves. He even took us to his home town and showed us where he lived and hung out.

There are also horse riding trails, where I saw some of the biggest freakin' bulls I've ever seen, just wandering the streets. I realized why the leader guy had a bull whip now... There were buzzards, donkeys, horses.. all wandering. He took me by the Cuban camp sites too.. a little different than what we're used to, that's for sure.

I do have other pictures, but I'll have to post them when I get home.

Just freakin' incredible...

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

On the mainland you get more produce and a wider variety of food. I was on Cayo CoCo and I think there was only 1 or 2 flights per week so everything would come in by plane or boat. The few times we went, there was some sort of Chef rotation/kitchen training [They sent their Corportate Executive Chef from HQ Italy] going on and the food was really good. They have theme nights every night and had a schedule posted in front of the dining room. There's always a pig roast. I think the desserts were just okay.

The quality and type of food you get also depends on the resort you stay at and their target customer. I found that the Melia & the Sol resorts have decent standards and are usually right on the beach.

Each resort also offers a full range of schduled activities, volley ball, water polo, pool hockey, poolside aerobics etc.

On Cayo Coco there isn't much to do outside of the resorts.

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Hmm.. I noticed that image links don't work here
    Duhhh... I just realized that I didn't have the "show images" thing checked off in my User CP Options...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12