Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Where to Dive in Cuba?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Dive in Cuba?

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Default Where to dive in Cuba?

I have been asked by a group to organize a dive trip to Cuba, but I have never been there myself. Can anyone offer any advice on where I should be looking at for the best diving? The group would be interested in being based at a resort, I would think, and recreational dives to 100'.

Americans are the last to ask, the State Department punishes US citizen travelers to Cuba.

It would be really cool to see all the old cars from the 40's and 50's! Take lots of photos for us!

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Americans are the last to ask, the State Department punishes US citizen travelers to Cuba.

It would be really cool to see all the old cars from the 40's and 50's! Take lots of photos for us!
    There are a few island nations you can enter from and not worry about your passport being stamped though Cuba is a beautiful country with some great diving (including cave systems.) Hopefully once Fidel is gone for good we can normalize realtions with them again. Hope you have a great trip snake; definitely bring back lots of pictures (and a few boxes of cigars would not be bad either )

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Ron,
    Have a look at http://www.cuba-junky.com.
    or try this for their scuba page http://www.cuba-junky.com/cuba/watersport.html

It gives alot of info about the island - both under and above the water.

I have heard that diving in cuba is beautiful.

HTH
    Lottie

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Merci, Lottie . So no one has had the opportunity to dive there? What are the penalties for Americans going there?

never returning home

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Very much like Caymans! I would do it in the water! I know people who dive Gitmo!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    That's what they want you to think! It's only an economic embargo. So research, educational and nonprofits can go. You just need a special permit from the State Department. There are special flights from Miami, but most just connect through Mexico or Canada. To get the permit, you have to affiliate youself with some University and do some "research", or with a Church, Mission, red cross etc. There are actually quite a number of Americans there but they keep a low profle as many Cubans still have a distaste for the American Corporate-Government but NOT the American people.

The Cubans don't stamp your passport (not even Canadian ones) and it makes no difference to the Cuban Customs guy whether you're from the US or from Botswana

The main thing is taking on US Customs & Immigration when you get back! You have to prove that you didn't spend a penny in Cuba of your American earned money. If you can do that easily then you are able to come and go no problem. And they will not hassel you if you have the State Department issued permit. As for souvenirs and such, the same rule applies.

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

I've actually been there a couple of times.. to Cayo Guillermo (beside Cayo Coco), as well as Jibacoa. The dive shops are pretty primitive, but the diving is beautiful. There are many swim throughs, corals, and fish galore. There are even caves, but I doubt you'll find anyone to take you to them. They are way off the beaten path. The dive boats are quite small (my experience at both locations), and the waves can be both non-existant, as well as throwing you all over the ocean.

Here's a pic of the the dive boat at Jibacoa...

At Jibacoa, there is also amazing snorkelling (even though I am not a big snorkelling fan). The reef starts about 20' from shore, and is home to approximately 120 species of fish in that area alone. I saw puffer fish, spotted rays, and many other "neat" things just snorkelling.

Keep in mind that my camera wasn't the greatest...

This was taken while snorkelling in Jibacoa...

While diving in Cayo Guillermo...

The dive crew at Jibacoa were amazing. Although they weren't a "state of the art" dive shop, the people were very accomodating. I would recommend bringing your own regs, BC, wetsuit, fins, mask, and yes... even a snorkel.

Cayo Guillermo was ok, the diving decent, but if I had to choose between the two, I would pick Jibacoa again. The resort had better food, more to see, and a bigger dive team.

Cayo Largo is supposed to have some incredible diving, but it can be a tough spot to get to, as the weather etc. can be very unpredictable. I recommend the end of May/early July for the Northern spots, such as the places I went.

If anyone would like some more info, don't hesitate to ask!

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Hmm.. I noticed that image links don't work here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast