Thread: Do you have current dive insurance?

Hybrid View

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    I'll have a look for it

DAN, PADI, Dive assure and Diver Security Insurance was reviewed I think.
    I think PADI now recommends DAN as i tried to sign up with the PADI insurance when i was looking at insurance back in June.

I've got DAN Master cover - to echo Dale's sentiments - better to be safe than sorry (but not in relation to having a weapon)
    Lottie

PADI does reccomend DAN, a DAN insert comes with most of the PADI stuff I get in the mail.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I have been carrying DAN's Preferred plan for the past 9 years and have nothing but good things to say about the organization and the policies they offer. I had the opportunity to make use of my policy a few years back, and just that one instance has enabled the policy to pay for itself for life. Chamber trips can be downright expensive and many insurance companies will balk if they hear the cause was dive related.

DAN's policies are considered secondary, meaning they will not pay until after your primary carrier has done their thing. This spooks some folks, but it is really of no great concern. My primary would not even think about covering any of the chamber ride costs, so DAN paid 100% (they even filled out the forms for me so that all I had to do was sign the submitted claim) of all costs associated with that incident.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

BamaCaveDiver - did that claim affect your current insurance with DAN? Are you paying more now & how did that affect the "lifetime" maximum clause?

Sometimes you can get bent even if you didn't deserve it, so it's always good have insurance.

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Yep, I have Dan as well

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

DAN for me too.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Littlelleemur sent me this link:

http://www.scuba diving.com/training/basicskills/TN_basic_consumers_guide_to_dive_insurance

Take away the space between scuba and diving

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    BamaCaveDiver - did that claim affect your current insurance with DAN? Are you paying more now & how did that affect the "lifetime" maximum clause?

Sometimes you can get bent even if you didn't deserve it, so it's always good have insurance.
    No rate increases due to filing a claim, I pay the same as everyone else for the coverage I currently carry. Like any insurance, they do keep records of what has been paid out, so yes the claim did affect the lifetime maximum (if it did not affect the limit, then what would be the purpose of having the limit in the first place?).

It's funny, but I never really thought much about those lifetime maximums that all policies carry (who could ever go through a million dollars worth of medical treatment over the span of their lifetime?) until I saw the first hospital bill from my big accident of 10 years ago; at the two month mark of my hospitalization (spent 4 months in traction) the bill was already beyond the $300K mark. Since that time, I now look a bit closer at the maximum lifetime payouts.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Well, how does that maximum work in this example:

You have the lower level of insurance with a maximum lifetime amount.

Then you have an incident

After your incident, you figure maybe I should upgrade to the top of the line policy that does not have any lifetime maximum.

Would you then have no maximum as if the first incident never happened?

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Well, how does that maximum work in this example:

You have the lower level of insurance with a maximum lifetime amount.

Then you have an incident

After your incident, you figure maybe I should upgrade to the top of the line policy that does not have any lifetime maximum.

Would you then have no maximum as if the first incident never happened?
    Acelockco:
    I think the prior accident is considered a pre-existing condition and so even if you choose to upgrade, there will be parts where the upgrade will not be applied. & depending on what categories you used, it may not be worth upgrading for the remaining ones.

BamaCaveDiver:
    It's great that you pay the same. Many companies increase what you pay after an incident. I was just wondering how the lifetime maximum would be applied by DAN as an injury or accident would qualify for many categories. So yes, that makes sense