Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have current dive insurance?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Default Do you have current dive insurance?

I was wondering which ones of you have dive insurance and which ones don't. I would also like to know what policy you have if you do have one. Also what is your reason for not having insurance if you don't.

I would like to get some dive insurance, and I don't know my options other than DAN.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Rodales did a side by side comparison of 3 or 4 dive insurance companies a few years back.

I currently have the DAN master plan insurance & am contemplating their gear insurance now that I have a US billing/mail address again.

I went with DAN b/c I liked the idea that I would be indirectly supporting their research.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Do you have the article? If so, can you post some of the main points? Was there an obvious winner? Why?

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

I'll have a look for it

DAN, PADI, Dive assure and Diver Security Insurance was reviewed I think. There weren't any main differences overall, just the smaller category differences: i.e when the insurance starts (when you get on the boat, dock, get in the water etc), when it ends, what other stuff is covered (i.e. accidents while monkeying around on the boat during the SI are not covered) etc, knocking your computer over the side of the boat not being covered....

It basically came down to what type of diver you are and the people you usually dive with.

It might be this one, but I remember much more detail & everything being summarized in a table:

www dot scuba diving dot com/training/basicskills/TN_basic_consumers_guide_to_dive_insurance
    Last edited by littleleemur; 12-13-2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: link not posting

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Dan Master Plan for me also. Just renewed it for another year last week. I've never needed it, but I go by the same mindset about that as I do my gun: Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    I'll have a look for it

DAN, PADI, Dive assure and Diver Security Insurance was reviewed I think.
    I think PADI now recommends DAN as i tried to sign up with the PADI insurance when i was looking at insurance back in June.

I've got DAN Master cover - to echo Dale's sentiments - better to be safe than sorry (but not in relation to having a weapon)
    Lottie

PADI does reccomend DAN, a DAN insert comes with most of the PADI stuff I get in the mail.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I have been carrying DAN's Preferred plan for the past 9 years and have nothing but good things to say about the organization and the policies they offer. I had the opportunity to make use of my policy a few years back, and just that one instance has enabled the policy to pay for itself for life. Chamber trips can be downright expensive and many insurance companies will balk if they hear the cause was dive related.

DAN's policies are considered secondary, meaning they will not pay until after your primary carrier has done their thing. This spooks some folks, but it is really of no great concern. My primary would not even think about covering any of the chamber ride costs, so DAN paid 100% (they even filled out the forms for me so that all I had to do was sign the submitted claim) of all costs associated with that incident.

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

BamaCaveDiver - did that claim affect your current insurance with DAN? Are you paying more now & how did that affect the "lifetime" maximum clause?

Sometimes you can get bent even if you didn't deserve it, so it's always good have insurance.

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Yep, I have Dan as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast