Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Easily bored with warm water diving? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easily bored with warm water diving?

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Hee Hee... well.. August and small parts of September are about the only months with 70ish temps. The rest of the year, it's "more chillier!"

If diving in the River (St. Lawrence), there is no thermocline. But if diving in Kingston or Tobermory, for example, there are thermoclines that are in the 40s quite often, so drysuit = goooooooood.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    We do reach the "bare minimum" here in the summer. I think "cold" water is considered anything under 70F, right? End of August first of September we finally reach that. In fact, this year I think I saw 74F as the warmest. I dove in the Bahamas in March with similar water temps! The Canadian Caribbean!
    Was that dive in someone's hot tub? Everyone who has ever tried to lure me up that way has always told me to come in August, when the water finally warms up to around 50F. You guys definitely have my respect and admiration, but I am happy being bored with warmer waters

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

I remembered that last Sunday, on our last afternoon dive, some buddies had their arms crossed underwater and did the universal "brrrr" shimmy. When I checked my Suunto later, it read 81F hehe, everything's relative indeed
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Only a numb mind can get bored with this kind of warm water diving?!!!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by PinayDiver View Post
    I remembered that last Sunday, on our last afternoon dive, some buddies had their arms crossed underwater and did the universal "brrrr" shimmy. When I checked my Suunto later, it read 81F hehe, everything's relative indeed

Now that's just not fair!!!

Water temps. are 37 here, right now!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by PinayDiver View Post
    I had that happen to me as well. The first dive I did with my Mares comp. I felt cold - looked at the temp on it when I got back on the boat and it said 29C (about 88F)...
    Lottie

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

OMG you people! lol

Nice pic Papa Bear! Whoa!

Bama, I guess it depends on where you are going. But we have steady temps in the 60's in the summer, maxing out in the (very low) 70's in August, like I said.

littleleemur, at our fav shore dive site, we were having those temps down to about 45', I'm going to say off the top of my head. Scuba Smurf can correct me on this. We do have thermoclines, and at that particular spot at that time it was probably 65F below 45'. Summer is fine here in a 6 or 7mm wetsuit. I love diving in my wetsuit and can't wait to get into it once the waters warm up. And there are lots of folks who dive their wetsuits well into the winter. My first few years of diving I dove a 7mm suit year round. I'm not saying it wasn't painful ...

One lady diver here holds our local record for doing two dives one day in I think it was 42F in a 3mm! All the macho types here dive in 3mm in August. (Although I think they are nuts)

But yeh, a drysuit DEFINITELY makes the diving more enjoyable up here.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

88 degrees Lottie, sounds like a hot tub.

We are going diving this Saturday moring, they are calling for snow with a high of 29F. I don't even want to know what the water temp. is. Now I have to decide on 7mm gloves or dry gloves. Some of my friends are going to be diving in wetsuits.....ha, they are nuts!

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Right now, 29F seems a bit balmy to me... It's -26C with the wind chill, in Ottawa right now....

I still wonder why we still have interchanging methods of temperature gauging. The water is usually measured in Farenheit, while the air is usually measured in Celcius...

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelle View Post
    I still wonder why we still have interchanging methods of temperature gauging. The water is usually measured in Farenheit, while the air is usually measured in Celcius...
    Because we dive down south with Americans.
    In the rest of the world, the water temp is also measured in Celcius & air is measured in bar. The downside to that is 200bar (the standard fill for AL80) is about 2800-2900psi, while we expect a good 3000psi if not a generous 3200psi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123