Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easily bored with warm water diving?

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Default Easily bored with warm water diving?

So we go down south for some warm water diving. It's sunny, it's warm, the beer's on ice & we go diving. Day 1, Day 2, Day3, Day 4....

The dive's over an hour long and you've already taken pics of critters for the first few days. Nothing new has materialized, the coral gardens don't seem to end. Your brain feels oddly unused during the dive...in fact it's getting numb from disuse....

Are there others who get easily bored with warm water diving?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I get VERY bored on warm water reef diving. I always perfer a wreck dive. I don't mind warm or cold water.

Now the times on a reef when I run into a large or rare creature, now that is good, but I still rather be on a wreck.

Wrecks are great but hunting is even better. Looking everywhere for your next meal will keep you busy. That's why I don't normally dive nearly as much in the summer compared to the winter because lobster season is closed

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Most, okay...all, of my dives are warm water dives. I've taken a camera out a couple of times and I wouldn't say I get bored (simple things, simple minds and all that).

If I'm in a big group, I let everyone else get closer to the reef than me (seeing as they are here for a limited time, whereas I have this stuff on my doorstep all the time), I also practice my buoyancy and breathing control and getting more experience in the water. Plus, it always amazes me whenever I see a turtle (only seen 3!!!!)
    Lottie

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Turtles are cool.

Country
    USA

I prefer to go to tropical destinations where there are other things to do other than diving.

Of course, when I am diving, I am on a mission to find specific animals.....but if I am at a location where there re other things to do, I can be fine with 3 dives a day instead of 4.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

To me, warm waters are the best.
    I grew up diving in Southern California, including hundreds of deep dives off of Catalina.
    I then dove the Hawaiian islands for the next 6 years, logging around 7,000 dives there.
    From the great vis, the many critters to play with, to the ease of gear prep, to the fun of just swimming without a big wetsuit or drysuit, (and weights) warm water is much more relaxing...and allows for much higher performance when needed, too.
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

7,000 dives in six years that a TON of dives doing the math that 3-4 dives every single day. What were you doing that you dove that much obviously diving was your job? I just don't see how that's even possible to do.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    7,000 dives in six years that a TON of dives doing the math that 3-4 dives every single day. What were you doing that you dove that much obviously diving was your job? I just don't see how that's even possible to do.
    Try owning a dive charter business and teaching.

I wouldn't even shower on days off, just so not to get wet...
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

very funny but true

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast