I have seen a push as of late for a group to distance itself from the DIR name and the problems associated with it and to embrace the term Unified Team Diving.

I have watched with a combination of bewildered amazement and utter amusement with Internet divers asking what is and what isn't DIR on every conceivable piece of gear.

For sport once I created a thread somewhere else where I created a new Ultra-Right Wing Nazi DIR philosophy that sated we were the new real true DIR and how one needs to make sure the rubber compound for hoses and the internal braid wrap are all identical, all o-rings must have the same durometer ratings, all masks had to have the same strap thickness, all silicone o-ring lube had to have the same viscosity, etc, and I started on how standard DIR was no longer DIR.....it was funny, some even bought into my prank. I P.O.d the board guides for sure, but i was making political satire.

In fairness to the DIR founders, I have seen a significant lack of the DIR gear frivolity nonsense so prevalent on scuba social communities from the DIR wannabees.

Time will tell if Unified Team Diving will take hold although I won't hold my breath. (for fear of embolism/barotrauma, lol )