Thread: What is, and what isn't DIR?

Hybrid View

Registered Users

Mike, DIR had your support? In what way? You have clearly never supported DIR. You have never had DIR philosophy, gear, or training... how did you support it? I'm sure you and Barbara dive safely together, but your support of TDI nonsense like this on your boat is outrageous and dangerous:
    http://scubapro25.blogspot.com/2007/...l-heights.html

I would never dive with you.

Quote Originally Posted by scubapro25 View Post
    You know what? DIR had my support until they started saying absurd things like that.
    Last edited by sd2k; 02-02-2007 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sd2k View Post
    Mike, DIR had your support? In what way? You have clearly never supported DIR. You have never had DIR philosophy, gear, or training... how did you support it? I'm sure you and Barbara dive safely together, but your support of TDI nonsense like this on your boat is outrageous and dangerous:
    http://scubapro25.blogspot.com/2007/...l-heights.html

I would never dive with you.
    Well, sd2k, whoever you are, I guess it was just a matter of time before this turned personal, eh?

You trawl other SCUBA boards, looking for people's dive reports to use against them, when you weren't even there?

This is why I try and avoid 'getting into it' with DIR types: their fanaticism invariably causes them to start getting personal in debates.

1. I clearly said in in previous posts that I thought DIR had some good ideas, but it was the fanaticism that turns people off. See remarks like "It's only a matter of 'when' you will die, not using DIR techniques, not if." And: "I would never dive with you." I might die and take you with me, huh?

2. What TDI 'nonesense' are you talking about? Where you with us that day on the dive? Did you not see subsequent remarks I made indicating that 1) we did not 'approve' of anything those divers did that day? and 2) their actions in no way indicate that we 'approved' of what they did, because they were caught in an open ocean current.

In fact, what they did, led to a new policy on our boat: no more Tech diving. Either TDI or DIR.

You can call it 'TDI nonesense' if you wish, but the fact remains that they came up safely and were recovered with no injuries to themselves or others, other than the slight inconvenience of having to bring up the anchor and move the boat to the new location, where they had safely deployed a marker buoy to indicate their new location.

I personally, don't see what in DIR training would make you immune to open water currents.

If I were you, I would be careful 'Monday-morning-quarter-backing' dives you were not present for.

Anyway, this marks my last post this thread.

Having a civil debate with DIRinian is like arguing with a Christian: it's all about how they are 'Doing It Right' and going to heaven and you're not.

And, that, my friend, is a lose/lose proposition.

This is why you guys all hang out with each other and dive with each other, because most 'normal' divers won't have anything to do with you.

Too much 'holier-than-thou' nonesense and not enough actual diving.

However, I wish you the best and safe diving--DIR or not.

Mikey
    "Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

Default Ahem...

Great ideas are great because they can withstand spirited but polite challenges.

But we'll ask all to follow some great advice:

"You can disagree without being disagreeable"- Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by Sarah; 02-02-2007 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Great ideas are great because they can withstand spirited but polite challenges.

But we'll ask all to follow some great advice:

"You can disagree without being disagreeable"- Ronald Regan
    Good advice, iDiveChick!

But, I think it's Ronald Reagan.
    "Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

My excuse is I'm not SIR...Spelling It Right

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    I wear my backplate and harness with doubles all the time and do some great dives with my buddy. But when I teach scuba I can't wear that rig since I am not qualified to teach it.
    Wow, Thats a new one. Does your buddy have you thinking you cant wear that rig while teaching? Just wear the damn thing!
    I don't see how it violates PADI standards.
    What, If one of your studenst show up with a BP/wing your gonna tell him he can't wear it cause your not qualified to teach him how to use it. Thats BS!

Your buddy is violating rule number one when he dives with you j/k

BTW, why isn't a dual-isolation manifold with primary reg and back up reg on the other post a 'reliable independant air supply'?
    It is a reliable air supply, But it's not independant if it has a manifold.

I think he was referring to sidemount, wich is safer if diving solo in tight caves.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by grim reefer View Post
    Wow, Thats a new one. Does your buddy have you thinking you cant wear that rig while teaching? Just wear the damn thing!
    I don't see how it violates PADI standards.
    What, If one of your studenst show up with a BP/wing your gonna tell him he can't wear it cause your not qualified to teach him how to use it. Thats BS!
    That's not my buddy, that's my training agency. Their policies clearly state I have to be configured in the same gear as I am teaching my students. For instance, since the basic course requires teaching to use a snorkel, I have to stick a snorkel on my gear when I teach the class, even though I wouldn't normally have one. Makes sense ... how can I teach with credibility a system I've never been officially trained to use? If a student showed up in backplate and harness ...? Interesting . . . never happened before but I think I'd commend them ... Again, I wouldn't be able to give them any special instruction on using the rig though. I have to teach to the standard I am certified for.

I am a NAUI instructor (and not a NAUI TECH instructor) ... don't know what the PADI standards say ... I'll leave PADI bashing for another thread ... TOTALLY KIDDING!!!!!

Your buddy is violating rule number one when he dives with you j/k
    I know! ha ha .... That's why I have to protect his name! lol We'll just refer to him as "DIVER X" . . .

It is a reliable air supply, But it's not independant if it has a manifold.

I think he was referring to sidemount, wich is safer if diving solo in tight caves.
    The manifold has an isolator between the tanks. I can breathe the full air supply from either reg, even if one post is shut off, or I can close the isolator and use the tanks independantly.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

The manifold has an isolator between the tanks. I can breathe the full air supply from either reg, even if one post is shut off, or I can close the isolator and use the tanks independantly.
    Manifolds are reliable, but much more efficient when used in a team configuration. You do not typically close the isolator valve unless you have a problem, and even then you do not have a truly independent system. In an independent rig you do not have to worry about a total loss of gas resulting from any single point of failure. If you are going to dive it closed, why not just dive true independents cylinders to satrt with and avoid the extra points of failure (not to mention not having a projection that can be damaged and still result in a total loss of all available gas supplies)? Every setup has its pros and cons and some are better suited to certain situations than others. The thing that really makes me laugh is when I read questions asking whether a setup is DIR or not, when the more appropriate question would be what are the merits and disadvantages of such a setup.