Quote Originally Posted by grim reefer View Post
It's kinda funny how people think a BP/wing is strictly DIR. "You can only use one if your trained to use it". As far as open water divers are concerned, There is no difference between it, And a jacket BC.
You got your inflator, And your dump valve. You put the tanks on your back.
Wow, That's pretty complicated. I think I need special training by GUE.
Honestly, The only thing it changes, Is a little wight off your belt.
There is nothing wrong with a NAUI instructor using one while teaching open water students. The only problem would be is if the LDS he or she was training through did not sell that particular piece of kit. You wouldn't want your instructors sending students money elsewhere would you?

Also, A lot of the "DIR" philosophy was around long before there ever was GUE/DIR/Halcyon.
After all, Al Gore did invent the internet, You know
BTW, I was trained by NACD, NSS/CDS, TDI, IANTD, And of course PADI
In the heart of cave country. Where all the origianal WKPP/ GUE people learned to cave dive. By people who were around long before they were.
There's not much they teach that I didn't learn through the "STROKE" agencies
I happen to agree with most of the DIR philosophy. I like some of the divers that I have met. Just not the "elitists". I spend more money than I plan on every time I go to Extreme Exposure.
So, I'm not bashing anyone. It's just that some people really need to get their heads out of their ###