View Poll Results: Do you dive with a snorkel?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I dive with a snorkel

6 31.58%
  • Nope - I don't dive with a snorkel

13 68.42%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you use a snorkel?

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

It is the case for me teaching too, as the standards state the students must wear one and I must be similarly equipped to the students. I keep meaning to buy one of those fold up snorkels ... I think Sherwood makes them ... the Avid? Would stow nicely in a pocket and then if you wanted it you can pull it out, without having to have it dangling from your head all the time . . .

City
    Cottage Grove
    State
    MN
    Country
    US

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    The same rules apply over here as well (although it pertains to a dive leader not just a DM - sorry, me just being pedantic, anyway, i digress!)..due to MAFF (Ministry of agriculture, forest and fisheries) regulations. (look here for more info)

I think it's more to do with protecting the aquatic life and environment etc, plus from a safety - and probably liability for the resort - perspective (you'd never have guessed i'm doing my rescue ) it confirms that divers who go, do come back and help is available if they need it.

Just my 2psi's worth
    I guarantee you that the rule is in place so that tourists are forced to pay a local charter/resort. It has nothing to do with protecting aquatic life/environment or safety. A person diving on their own would pose no liability for a resort. It's to protect the incomes of those mentioned above.

City
    Cottage Grove
    State
    MN
    Country
    US

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelle View Post
    Nope, no snorkel for me...

Mind you... they make pretty good straws for giant tropical drinks!
    They use them for massive lines of blow in Cali, Columbia.

Registered Users
    City
    Avalon
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

No, they get in my way when I am filming in tight corners and when I'm diving areas with sea lions, they often steal them from me.
    Visit my web site for images of and information about the marine life of southern California's kelp forests.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

I always have one. I grew in Laguna Beach, and wouldn't want to waste tank air on the surface. I would snorkel out to the dive spot, switch to my reg, and pike dive down. I'd reverse that at the end of the dive.
    The other thing about having a snorkel is you can rest on the surface face down, and not get tired.
    BTW, I don't use a BC, and when I taught, never put air in it.
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Registered Users

Always, rolled up and tucked in my pocket.

And, seasnake, mine is an Oceanic.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Like others, if DM'ing Open Water classes etc where standards dictate that I should have one then I wear one. On normal dives, I'm wearing twins and find that it gets in the way of the long hose so it gets to sit in the gear tub with the rest of the growing collection of assorted dive crap that appears to be spontaneously generating in the back of my van.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123