Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't I dive twice on the same tank?

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Default Why can't I dive twice on the same tank?

Most charter operators do not let me dive twice on the same tank even if I surface with more than 2/3 of air. However they're OK with my 2nd tank, which is smaller & has less air than what I came up with in the first one.

This would be the 2nd dive on the same wreck and with the same dive plan.

What's so annoying about this is that I still pay the same for the tank to be topped off at the end of the day.

My guess is becuase we live in fear of lawsuits, at least if something should happen, they can say you left the boat with a full tank, instead of a partial tank. Some non-diving jurors may not see the diffrence between a partially filled 80 vs a full 63. A tank is a tank thing.

Just my opinion.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

I agree with daddyh2o as well - lawsuits and liability.

down here, you can do a wreck dive, have an SI on the boat for an hour, then do another dive. They allow two tanks - one for each dive. at least that way they know that all divers are starting off with 3000psi in their tanks at the start of the dive. plus the added bonus of preventing a possible accident....

just my two cents
    Lottie

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

That's what I've been told, but you wonder when there are a bunch of people trying to get your attention as you ascend to your safety stop....

At least I know that they won't forget me when it's time to go.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I would say it's a case of not understanding tank volume vs. psi ... It's amazing how many divers don't get that . . .

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    Most charter operators do not let me dive twice on the same tank even if I surface with more than 2/3 of air. However they're OK with my 2nd tank, which is smaller & has less air than what I came up with in the first one.

This would be the 2nd dive on the same wreck and with the same dive plan.

What's so annoying about this is that I still pay the same for the tank to be topped off at the end of the day.

Well, if you are a newbie, then just do as you are told and deal. Now if that is not the case and you really know what you are doing and have the dives to back that up, then I say, BE QUIET!!!

The only way they are even going to notice is if you say something. The captain is usually dealing with the boat, not watching you monkey with your gear. Keep what you are doing to yourself and no one will probablly even notice.

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

I have decent air management, know what I am doing and have a large number of dives to back it up. And yes, I am quiet about it.

I don't even bother asking when on vacation. Why make things more complicated than they have to be? Also, if anything happens to a tank in the hot sun, well, I *may* have an extra tank See how considerate I am?

However, I got chewed out my a member of my usual dive group for being irresponsible when I use my tank twice because "everyone expects you to have 1/2 tank full if not the 2/3. You're the *go-to* person and you're endangering others when you don't"

Excuse me but ***? Endangering others?! Irresponsible?! When was I the designated self propelling spare air carrier? The people who are sucking their tanks dry are the dangerous and irresponsible ones. I'm not a DM so why would I carry air around for everyone else? Even when I use my tank twice, I have more than enough air for my buddy if he needs it.
    Last edited by littleleemur; 12-07-2007 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Rant.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

That is a bit silly, because obviously your dive plan is going to incorporate having air to get your buddy home in case of a problem, regardless if you start with a full tank or 2/3 of a tank. It's crazy to think that others in your group feel they don't have to manage their air because you will be there to bail them out! yikes!

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

You know it's a problem when Santa gives you a 360 swivel in your stocking for your Octo....& it's probably why the 60's I asked for 4 x'mases ago haven't materialized under the tree yet.

Why don't you use that extra air for more bottom time on the 1st dive? Sorry probly not helpful.

I dive with I guy I swear surfaces with more air than he started with. He has fantastic air management. But not a one of us expect him to be the "go-to "guy in an emergancy.

That is like saying you don't drink enough so you are the designated driver.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast