Thread: Why can't I dive twice on the same tank?

Hybrid View

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Now I am confused?

It shoud be a rare time when you can reach your NDL on an AL80 and a non repetative dive. Is there something I am missing? Are you VERY VERY SMALL? Like 4'5" 70lbs?

What is your avg. dive depth and bottom time? I am just trying to figure this out.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

I'd like to be closer to 70lbs The closer you are to weighing 0lbs the better right? At least that's the impression I'm getting from the Victoria Secret Fashion Show

A sample dive would be: penetration would range from 90-70ft inside the wreck depending. So a 45/50-min dive (quick decent down the line and the requisite 3-min safety stop) I would be getting back on the boat with 2100-2250psi with a starting pressure of abt 3150psi. 2nd dive, same profile, same tank and surfaced just under 1000psi w/ a starting fill of 3150psi on an 80. Non-penetration, on the same wreck with quite a bit of swimming around, I would surface w/ abt 1600+, maybe more. I'm not quite sure b/c the non-penetration dives are done on a mixed boat and I'm always sharing my octo w/ someone. (Which is scary b/c they really suck the air back).

So if there's a lot of current or swimming I definitely would not do 2 dives on 1 tank.
    Last edited by littleleemur; 12-17-2007 at 04:27 AM.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Are you missing a lung?

Either you are pulling my chain or you might be the record holder for the least air consumption! At 90 feet, I doubt I would even get 45 minutes out of an 80 cubic foot cyl. You are saying you get 100 minutes with 1000 psi to spare, that does not compute to me.

Maybe I am missing something.

Now I have no idea what you are talking about "alyays sharing an octo", it is for an emergency, not for always use.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

No, my lungs are intact and quite healthy & the 45-mins is the total dive time (including quick descent and the 3-min safety stop), not 90ft at 45mins. Not sure if my computer will allow 45-min at 90ft.

In a wreck you just chill and do your thing so you don't silt out. So obviously the air consumption will be good. There's also no current inside that wreck. So for 2 penetration dives on that wreck I can get 2 45-min dives off the same tank while surfacing w/ abt 900 or so psi give or take a 100.

When swimming around, esp in current, it's not that good so I don't think I can do 2 dives while still surfacing with over 500psi.

As for the sharing octo part, I have more than enough for my buddy and I to reach the NDL together and surface with 1000psi each. Obviously we don't do the sharing bit while in the wreck (entaglement etc), but it's fine when we're out and going up the line & on the safety stop. We manage our air so that he will have at least 1200psi when exiting the wreck. Then we swim around for a bit to check out the outside of the wreck and head back to the line.
    Last edited by littleleemur; 12-17-2007 at 04:28 AM.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Who taught you this technique of sharing air without it being an emergency, or emergency practice?

Please, don't take any offense to this, but I think it may be time for some SCUBA classes. Your air management seems unrealistic and sharing your air for no reason sounds like not a good idea.

Good luck!

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Who taught you this technique of sharing air without it being an emergency, or emergency practice?

Please, don't take any offense to this, but I think it may be time for some SCUBA classes. Your air management seems unrealistic and sharing your air for no reason sounds like not a good idea.

Good luck!
    A lot of us do this all the time Ace, we call it drills. If you wait until a true emergency, then you will have to waste a bit of time to think prior to reacting; if you practice these skills on a regular basis, it becomes second nature (muscle memory and all that garbage.) Even when I am diving solo, I will breathe my backup from time to time just to ensure its functionality.

As for banging the NDL's with an AL 80, it can be done quite easily. This is especially true for more experienced divers (the more you dive the more relaxed you should become and thus the better your SAC rate.) Women are notorius for having extremely low SAC rates to begin with, but I have met my share of male divers who I swear had to have gill implants.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Bamma,

He/she is not talking about doing a drill, or as I called it "emergency practice".

I also don't think the person asking this question would be of the level you are speaking about concerning NDL with an AL80. Of course it can be done, without too much difficulty, but what we are talking about is hitting your NDL TWO TIMES with 1000PSI to spare. I can't figure it out, even with unreasonablly low SAC rates.