Thread: Why can't I dive twice on the same tank?

Threaded View

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    When you are in an overhead situation you have to think of your buddy team as one unit. You have to carry enough air to get both of you to safety! It is the rule of thirds!
    Of course I carry enough air for my buddy! & yes, we follow the rule of 3rds & dive our plan. Whoever first uses 1/3 of their starting supply & we turn back regardless. I do agree with you about the pitfalls of H&W, B&G buddies, so that is why planning is important. In a perfect world, we would be buddied-up with those who have the same dive-style, SAC rates, air supply & gear. [I think we're starting to get into DIR territory here....]

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    I am not putting my life on the line for a maybe! Never go in an Overhead environment unless planned and with the amount of air you planned on! So its not about her or her sac rate, its about the dive, and where your going and what your doing!
    & for an overhead environment, I would not buddy with a known hog, or potential hog (aka he/she-who-becomes-a-hog-when-conditions-are-less-than-ideal). In my limited experience, I've seen such individuals not follow basic rules/common sense much less the rule of 3rds b/c they are so focused on trying to entend their time/depth/range with little thought of the consequences. These are the same people that routinely ask for air at the bottom of the line & surface at barely 500psi. These are the people I'm kvetching about.

& as for diving in an overhead environment with a 60cuft remaining air supply & a buddy with 120cuft - now what is the point in that?
    Last edited by littleleemur; 02-04-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added quote