Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are scuba chix ridiculed/not taken seriously by guys?

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

You would never guess diving is a testosterone driven sport by the make-up of my group of diving friends. We all belong to a dive-shop based club made up primarily of diving couples from fairly young to some in their 70's. Our last trip to Bonaire was made by 7 husband and wife dive teams and one gay couple.

Some of the women in our group have logged in the thousands of dives all over the world. They are our most revered diving gurus and closest friends.

The club does have a group of tech divers who hang close together. But their knowledge and insight into our sport is informative conversation. They respect where others are in this sport, regardless of gender.

Our LDS is run by a married couple with logs that look like New York City phonebooks. They have as many women's wetsuits and other accessories on the racks as they do for men.

My greatest thrill in diving is doing it with my wife as my dive buddy. We get to share some of the most incredible sights that nature has to offer on this planet. We see with our own eyes a part of the web that holds all of life on earth together, that few other humans will ever experience. How cool is that? And I can't think of a safer buddy to have than one who actually wants to see you come back alive.

Anyone who feels this is a "man" sport is missing at least half of the fun.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Great post, Mountain Dog. I do think, however, that there was a misunderstanding there. I do not feel this is a "man's sport" at all, otherwise I wouldn't be participating in it. Sometimes it just takes double the work to be seen as an equal in the water. It doesn't really bother me too much, as I posted before, I just keep my head down and do my stuff. I'll be twice as good in the long run. One would hope, anyway...

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post

Seasnake:
    So what are the RE prices and when is a good time to move there? Kidding aside, when is the best time to go diving? & where can I more info?
    It is great diving here year 'round. If you want the warmest water/most marine life ... late August early September. Best viz is probably spring up until June, first of July even. We have a yahoo group if you want more info I can send you an invite ...

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Please do

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Tanned enough?

That is when I laugh, because I know I have been diving longer than the DM (usually). And I know that real men (and SCUBA Chicks) do it in the cold! When the sky is cloudy, the wind is blowing, the waves are crashing, and the water is just about frozen, we jump right in and that is why we are not tanned enough.

So me white as a ghost will only laugh at them.

City
    London
    Country
    UK

:-) Surely if they're that tanned, then they've been spending too much time on the surface trying to catch the eye of some poor unfortunate!!

Our dive club is probably heading towards equal proportions, both in the newbie ranks and the experienced and instructors. I was out in Malta last week, helping out on a TDI ER course, 6 students total, 3 guys and 3 girls (and the girls rocked).. heading out there again tomorrow for Advanced Trimix, four students this time, again half and half.

Come over this side of the pond, nobody here's going to pre-judge you

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    that real men (and SCUBA Chicks) do it in the cold! When the sky is cloudy, the wind is blowing, the waves are crashing, and the water is just about frozen, we jump right in and that is why we are not tanned enough.

So me white as a ghost will only laugh at them.
    Laughing at them is one thing, trying to get a spot on the advanced boat is another.

I clearly remember my first checkout dive as an OW student: it was Memorial Day weekend and there was freak storm coming in. There was a combination of snow and sleet coming down on the boat to the divesite. As I was preparing to take my giant step into the water, it started to hail.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

When they see the date on my C-Card, I have no problem getting on any dive boat (so far).

Registered Users
    City
    Avalon
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Most of my favorite dive buddies are women... not because they are beautiful to look at (which they all are) but because they are extremely competent divers (most are instructors) whose diving more closely mirrors my own. They seem far better at recognizing relationships: that of the dive buddy as well as the ecological ones.

Acelockco... I almost always have trouble diving with an operator once they see my c-card. It's not that it is from the late 60's, but that it is from Los Angeles County. Heck, where do they think the early PADI founders and instructors came from. I got tired of being asked to do check out dives by instructors so young I'd been diving more than twice as long as they'd been alive. Funny that the PADI instructor in Cairns who did my AOW instantly recognized my LAC c-card and said it should be in a museum!
    Last edited by DrBill; 12-29-2007 at 10:07 PM.
    Visit my web site for images of and information about the marine life of southern California's kelp forests.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by DrBill View Post
    Funny that the PADI instructor in Cairns who did my AOW instantly recognized my LAC c-card and said it should be in a museum!

I doubt you saw the humor in being referred to a museum.

Imagine something you earned being placed in a museum, I'd think that I would have to kill a bull or something, just to prove my virility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12