Thread: So, where is PNG??

Default So, where is PNG??

Where does PNG settle in your site posts?

Good question Allison!

Maybe the Australia, New Zealand & Pacific Isles needs to be changed to:

Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea & Pacific Isles.

Can anyone find a more logical place on the board?

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Leave it right where it is at. It is part of the island, New Guinea, which is where the Japenese advance to Australia was halted during WWII.

Administrator

Hi Allison,

Per your good suggestion we have added PNG to the Forum title to go along with Oz, NZ et al, and we've added a PNG Muck Divers regional club too.

PNG as a huge island that is attached to New Guinea, which is Indonesian, hence the positioning and title dilema.

PNG is known as muck heaven to all of us macro critter lovers, but we don't want to limit them with a label as so much of PNG is wide open coral reefs with geat visibility.

That means we're open to suggestions on a better name then PNG Muck Divers is someone has a better idea.

amtrosie, I think Allison's point is New Guinea isn't anywhere as of yet, so it can't be left where it is at when it isn't somewhere to begin with.

Wow, what a weird sentence I just made. And we wonder why people say English is a difficult language to learn!

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

My point is that it is part of the Pacific Islands, so why not allow PNG to fall under that heading.

To Admin. A slight correction if I might. PNG constitutes the Eastern half of the Island of New Guinea (and some surrounding islands), the Western half is now called West Papua (previously Irian Jaya, and West Irian before that). It is a province of Indonesia. You are correct in saying that New Guinea is a huge island (second largest), just incorrect in identifying the borders. And these are sooooooo important. PNG has managed the onslaught of civilization much better than its counter-part to the East.

iDiveChick, we who call English our first language, have difficulty managing the language. Imagine the difficulty of those learning it as a second, or third, or fourth language. Yes I agree with your statement regarding this language called English.

Well, PNG is such a huge island with a word class dive reputation it would be like lumping Australia in the Pacific Isles.

Maybe "Papua/New Guinea"?

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Could always lump PNG in with Australia. It used to be ours until i think about the late 60s. Could be wrong though. Include NZ with Aus as well just to sh*t stir the kiwis.

Let the games begin

Matt