Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've just done my Rescue

City
    London
    Country
    UK

The rescue scenario is just that, a scenario. It's purpose is to get you thinking on your feet, working under stress, applying the skills you've learnt and then evaluating what you felt went well, what worked and what didn't.

It's not a pass or fail test, it's designed to give you an opportunity to run throw a complete rescue in a controlled and safe environment.

Definitely relax, and also go into it with an open mind, it's another valuable opportunity for you to learn. Most of all, enjoy it :-)

Looking forward to hearing how it went...

I want to add,

When I do play "Victim" for the SSI Stress & Rescue course, I have been told to be a little difficult.

I have tossed things, mucked up the bottom, spit out my regs, spit out thier regs, opened my dump valve on my BCD, Drysuit. yelled, screamed , generally flail about. I tend to gauge my response by the student.

The last class was a bunch of fireman. While I appreciate what they do, a few of them were a little to much of Ego Junkies for me. This was the most fun I had in a long time.

One of the guys in the course, is a club member, and I have known him for a while. Afterwards I was talking to him.
    I said "In all the time we have known each other this is the first time we have done a dive together"

He responded "Yeah, and I had to keep rescueing you!"

The instructor added, "You didn't need to rescue him to pass the course"

Got to love a sense of humor.

Lottie, you will be fine!
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Sydney
    Country
    Australia

well done Lotti

I did my course a few months ago and it was great, it just gives you that bit a extra confidence.
    Doogs
    A bad day diving is better than a good day working
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=584727570
    http://www.myspace.com/doogs182

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    while practicing the rescue breaths and trying to take off the gear (now that was hard work!!!) - where you count for 5, the instructor said that at one point, I only counted for 3....it doesn't matter.
    Like you said it doesn't matter but depending on whose standards you use (AHA vs ARC) rescue breaths are given every 3 to 5 sec. So counting to 3 is correct

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

thanks for all that guys

daddyh2o - you didn't ramble on too much, and it made perfect sense.

I met up with the other student (he's an intern at the resort) on sunday to go through the rescue scenarios as everything seemed jumbled up in my mind after leaving there on friday..he also said just relax as well....but then he's also done coastguard training as well.

Oh well...I'll let you all know how it went in 19 hours time!!
    Lottie

[QUOTE=lottie;8694]thanks for all that guys

daddyh2o - you didn't ramble on too much, and it made perfect sense.
    QUOTE]

Are you Narc'd?

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Default it got postponed :(

We had alot of rain last night and this morning. Thankfully now it's stopped, but the water is now a brown muddy colour and viz went down to about 2 foot (it's normally about 70+), so the rest of the training has been postponed until next Thursday (they've got a big dive group coming in tomorrow)....so even longer to wait..
    but, in the interim, I've been given homework...to do an emergency plan

you gotta love that rescue course
    Last edited by lottie; 11-27-2007 at 03:01 PM.
    Lottie

Can I help?

Here is my senario (sp) Joe diver at 90' is unconscience, he is pinned to the roof of the bridge on a wreck, his wieght belt slipped off, and struck his head as he became suddenly positive bouyant and is now knocked out , but breathing slowly, he has a full face mask. You check his gauges and see that he has 400 psi left, and is still within the no-decompression limits, and his K-valve is leaking by, also damaged by striking the roof.

1. How would you help this diver?

2. What would be the best way to get his new dive computer to me?
    Last edited by Daddy-h2O; 11-28-2007 at 01:03 AM.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

DaddyH2o - I don't know whether you're being serious or not..but here's my take on that scenario...

I don't know about wrecks..as the one thats done here isnt' really penetrable (as such - not closed...)...so bear with me on this

If his weight belt has slipped off...you'd be wasting time trying to get it and put it back on him..so you wouldn't do that

Assess the scene - which would be the quickest way out (up!?) if it's easy to grab hold of his BC shoulder straps/If he's still got the reg in his mouth, keep that in place to pull him away from the wreck and start the ascent.
    Purge his BC and mine to stop a possible runaway ascent and flare out my legs to increase drag on the way up.
    Keep hold of his reg to keep that in place and to keep his trachea open while ascending.

Once at the surface - this all depends on whether its near a shore or the dive was from a boat. call ems, give oxygen using a rebreather mask with the oxygen set to continuous flow.

btw..it's scenario and conscious (conscience is when you refer to a guilty conscience)
    Lottie

btw..it's scenario and conscious (conscience is when you refer to a guilty conscience)

and your point?

You failed to send me my (his) new computer....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast