Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just done my Rescue

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Red face I've just done my Rescue

...and, oh boy, was that hard work!

After two days of going through the exercises, i'm completely exhausted, both mentally and physically and now realise that i need to improve my fitness levels.

There was me and another student (he's on a dm internship with the dive shop) doing the course, which was good, especially for doing the exercises.

Still gotta go back on tuesday to finish off two things that we didn't get a chance to complete today (first aid stuff and writing up an emergency assistance plan)
    PLUS do the rescue scenario, which will also involve some of the other (if not all) the peeps at the dive shop..but i'm getting pretty freaked about doing that (fear of the unknown, peer pressure, worrying that i'll do something completely wrong, whatever).

Oh and add to the fact, I have motion sickness, still feel like as though i'm still floating on the water lol

But the course is definitely well worth it, if you haven't done it already. I highly recommend it - not just to improve on your skill set, but it makes you a better and more competent diver.
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Congrats!

Wow, you are flying through those classes!

Prettty soon you can have your DM card.

[QUOTE=lottie;8647]...and, oh boy, was that hard work!

..but i'm getting pretty freaked about doing that (fear of the unknown, peer pressure, worrying that i'll do something completely wrong, whatever).

Oh and add to the fact, I have motion sickness, still feel like as though i'm still floating on the water lol

But the course is definitely well worth it, if you haven't done it already. I QUOTE]

1. Stop sweating it. Relax and deal with " a first come first served" attitude. Peer pressure is a non issue- everyone there is there for the same reason. A mistake you (or anyone for that matter) make in training, could be the life lesson learned by yourself and others that saves a life. ( I learn more from my mistakes )

2. Motion sickness,... I got nothing...

You will do fine, and if it helps you can rescue me any time
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

My wife has issues with seasickness while on the boat, and she also suffers from sealegs (the feeling of motion after you are back on land). It is really bad for her at times, but she is a trooper as she always still made the dive. She also knows that getting in the water is instant relief from the feeling, or so I have been told.

I on the otherhand don't have any problem with feeling seasick. I do get sealegs though, but I kind of like it. It feels kind of trippy to me...like you had a few drinks on an empty stomach.

Sorry to veer from the subject Lottie, I just started thinking and well you know.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Well done Lottie!
    Don't sweat the scenario. Just like in real life, you can only do as well as you can! If you screw up - which I sincerely doubt that you will- then take it onboard as a lesson and in years to come, when you are teaching rescue skills to other divers, you will have some stories available to calm their nerves.
    I'm sure that everyone on here is quietly cheering you on and wish you the best. So go on! give it your best shot and ,remember, ENJOY it.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    1. Stop sweating it. Relax and deal with " a first come first served" attitude. Peer pressure is a non issue- everyone there is there for the same reason. A mistake you (or anyone for that matter) make in training, could be the life lesson learned by yourself and others that saves a life. ( I learn more from my mistakes )
    Thanks for that - i know i need to relax and just get on and deal with it. But the difference between a training exercise and a real-life scenario is that you have time to prepare for a training exercise and you know it's going to happen. Like you said you learn from your mistakes - which is better in training than for real....

I think i'm more scared about this than i was when i did all my PGD exams!!!

I'll let you know what happens on tuesday...
    Lottie

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Default The Learning Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Thanks for that - i know i need to relax and just get on and deal with it. But the difference between a training exercise and a real-life scenario is that you have time to prepare for a training exercise and you know it's going to happen. Like you said you learn from your mistakes - which is better in training than for real....

I think i'm more scared about this than i was when i did all my PGD exams!!!

There-in lies the very crux of the entire issue. You train to learn and develop techniques and skills to deal with a scenario. You will not know it going in, but you will LEARN it coming out!! This is a class!!! This is where you start to develop the skills used in scuba diving. It just happens to be a life saving class, not an insignificant math or science class! If you have not heard this before, let me say it now. These certifications are a license to learn You now have the basic knowledge to DEVELOP the skills to become a better diver!! None of us rolled off the boat the first time with all the knowledge and skill, we developed these things. AND WE ARE ALL, STILL LEARNING!!!!!

What am I trying to say? (very poorly!) RELAX!!!! You have been given the tools that must be practised, to be come proficient.

All the training in the world means squat, if the rescuer panics too. Even with training a real life mishap depends more on the rescuers willingness to do something rather than nothing.
    I think (my opinion only) training is more about learning so that the rescuer (aka student) doesn't panic. If you are armed with the knowledge and know how to respond, you are less likely to panic yourself. Training is just that. Real life and death issues need to be dealt with. The good news is that you are not living in a TV hospital drama where every day you are going to be bombarded by doom and gloom every minute.

After you complete your training you will be armed with the knowledge of how to react IF life tosses a curve your way. I completed SSI's stress and rescue course several years ago. I approached eveything a little diffrent and give a little fore thought into things, I look at other divers and learn from the ones that have something to offer, and keep a watchful eye on the ones I may question. The good news is that I can honestly say that to date, I have not had to "rescue" anyone, but I was able to help and support other divers when they were overwelmed with it all (and needed to abort the dive) or just needed a friendly underwater adjustment (loose tanks mostly), and assist when necessary.

If you have the opportunity afth the course volunteer as the next's course victim. It will give you a diffrent perspective, and give yourself the chance to refresh what you have learned.

I am fortunate in that I have never been in a sitituation I haven't gotten myself out of. And man there are a few stories there.

I seem to have rambled a bit, but I really am supporting you and your effort to complete the course and continue with you diving goals. IOt may be unwanted advise and I apologize for that.

Best of luck!!!
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    This is a class!!! This is where you start to develop the skills used in scuba diving....These certifications are a license to learn You now have the basic knowledge to DEVELOP the skills .
    Thanks for that Amtrosie - it's a good point to note and i know i'm worrying needlessly.

Based on what you said - one thing i remember the instructor saying when I was towing in the other student, while practicing the rescue breaths and trying to take off the gear (now that was hard work!!!) - where you count for 5, the instructor said that at one point, I only counted for 3....it doesn't matter. like you said I'm still learning the skills and remembering what was said on the EFR course, you are still helping that person.

But the instructor came across as being a patronizing putz anyway (his one guy I haven't dived with before) on more than one occasion during the course.

Thanks again for the advice (and to DaddyH2O as well)
    Lottie

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post

But the instructor came across as being a patronizing putz anyway (his one guy I haven't dived with before) on more than one occasion during the course.
    Nice job, Lottie! Keep training.

You also get extra points for alliteration; "patronizing putz", indeed!
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast