Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mattel/Matchbox Mega Rig Shark Ship

Country
    USA

Mattel has a fiscal responsibility to its shareholders, mankind has a social responsibility to the planet and all its inhabitants.

All of us, Mattel included, can find ways where the two interests converge. DisneyWorld did it by making their Wild Animal Park Safari theme based upon not killing the wild beast, but catching the poachers and protecting the wild animal.

I don't know if it would be viable from a marketing standpoint, but can you imagine Mattel making a theme toy boat that catches rogue whale poachers and their boats?

I think more or less we're all on the same page here.

City
    London
    Country
    UK

It's a point I've made to Mattel already. I've had a decent and open two way converation with someone in the UK head office.

Obviously to remove the product straight would be corporate madness. So, I've suggested they remodel it, take off the harpoon and replace with a crane/jib, replace the shark with a few dolphins and add a diving bell as well. Hey presto, a Mega Rig Dive Exploration Rig, at minimal development cost, and promoting environment, nature, awareness etc.

I doubt they'll take head, however nothing lost by trying... but if they did take notice, I for one would sing their praises to all.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

If they actually make changes, not only would I praise them, but I would praise you as well for getting something done. Unfortunately I think the only way they will make a change is if they don't sell enough units by the end of the 1st quarter of 2008. Then you will have your explorer rig for next year.

While there are issues, I still like the toy and any diver style toy. I wish I had one when I was a little kid.

City
    London
    Country
    UK

When I was a kid I had an Action Man toy (not sure if you'd know it in the US, an army based male doll with different clothes/combat gear/guns and a variety of vehicles). My favourite garb for him was his wet suit and scuba tanks. I also had a plastic Blue Shark toy who was best buddies with Action Man.... it used to drive my mother nuts, she could never get me out of the bath!!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I just saw the ad on TV for this toy as I was reading this thread!!

Wow, in todays society it is surprising to see an ad like that!

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I did not see the ad, what is going on in the ad?

If anyone has a link or anything, please post it.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

there is one clip that shows firing the grappling hook into the mouth of the attacking great white! Not very PC!

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

REALLY!?!

I am totally shocked actually. I thought that was just implied, but they actually show you.

Kind of like SeaDoo's, on the commercial they show them jumping waves, but they tell you in the owners manual not to jump waves. It just makes no sense to me.

City
    London
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    there is one clip that shows firing the grappling hook into the mouth of the attacking great white! Not very PC!
    I'm not sure if this is the same, but check out the promo video on the amazon web site

Amazon.com: Mattel Matchbox Mega Rig Shark Adventure: Toys & Games

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

That's the one! Those big mean sharks ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12