Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instr to Instr- PADI Rescue Courses

Registered Users

Default Instr to Instr- PADI Rescue Courses

It has been my sad experience to realise that I do not have the monopoly on great ideas. With that, any instructors out there have any 'top tips' that they would like to impart re running their PADI RESCUE classes? (That is beyond the usual, make sure they all turn up on time, have a pen to do the paperwork etc.) I have a resue class coming up and am looking for ways of doing the class do beyond my usual routine- more for my sanity than anything else. TIA.

Hire some attractive girls from the local college to be the simulated rescue subjects, advertise it all, and your rescue class booking will be backlogged for the entire year with you now switching to full time rescue training.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

iDive,

Sometimes I wonder if it is really you in that photo or is it some guy sitting behind that computer using a photo of someone else? Some of the things you say are not something I would expect to hear out of a "chicks" mouth.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by paul19may View Post
    It has been my sad experience to realise that I do not have the monopoly on great ideas. With that, any instructors out there have any 'top tips' that they would like to impart re running their PADI RESCUE classes? (That is beyond the usual, make sure they all turn up on time, have a pen to do the paperwork etc.) I have a resue class coming up and am looking for ways of doing the class do beyond my usual routine- more for my sanity than anything else. TIA.
    Paul,
    I haven't done my Rescue course, so couldn't really comment as to how the instructor would run the course and/or change beyond the usual routine.

One suggestion would be to make it more fun - try not to make it sound too serious (yes, I know it is a serious subject). That way, it gives the group (and you as the instructor) more bonding during the course and lightens up the attitude.

Are you referring to the classroom work or the rescue scenarios?
    Lottie

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Make a competition out of some of the skills, the winner to get a PADI sticker, or some other such "rare" item. See if you can't make a game out of the various skills, or use a game to incorporate a skill or two. If pool sessions are to be a part of the class. Break the class up with some underwater games or competition.

Do not be afraid to incorporate more information and skill sets than what is the bare minimum. Let them get a good class with good information and extra skills that are important for a good price.

Better yet, charge more money and tell them, and give them more than they would from another Instructor!

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    Better yet, charge more money and tell them, and give them more than they would from another Instructor!
    Fees have nothing to do with quality. Sometimes classes that are free are the best because the instructor actually cares and does it because he or she loves it.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Offer the 'victims' small prizes if they can swipe the rescuers mask during " panicked diver on the surface".
    Wait until everybody thinks they've finished and spring a snap scenario on them. " Well done everybody! Hold on! is that a diver in distress over there?"
    ( we used to get the DM to climb onto the boat, cross over to the other side and jump back in. Frequently, nobody noticed until the skipper said with a smug grin, " Are you SURE that everybody is back on board?")
    A friend of mine used to take a small pony bottle with him to the bottom, lie face down and undo all the clips on his BCD. Rescuers turn up, inflate victims BC which promptly polarises to the roof. Victim grins at rescuers and begins breathing off the pony.

I always think that the rescue course is more about creating the mindset than getting the skills down pat.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    London
    Country
    UK

Definitely throw scenarios at them at random times during the course (once they've learnt how to deal with the skill, of course)

During panicked diver on the surface, have some fun with your DM as well. Get them to start panicking as hard as they can, then sit back and watch, don't go in to rescue/manage. It's a good way to demo how quickly a panicked person will run out of steam and become easier to deal with.

During lost diver scenario, have your DM unplug their LPI inflator, simulating an out of air. The rescuer will have to manage the lift using their own inflate.

Chat to your local EMS and see if they would like to get involved, if so, how. I know in the UK the coastguard are often looking for willing members of the public to train on... imagine how quick a rep you'd get if the final scenario of your course involved real communications to a coastguard station, culminating in your lost now found diver being airlifted and medivacced out!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I like doing things in progressions ... break the rescue down into parts and learn those skills and then apply that to the whole scenario. I love the idea of getting local EMS involved! I tried very hard to do that with lifeguard training, but I could never get the EMS personnel to come around to the idea.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    iDive,

Sometimes I wonder if it is really you in that photo or is it some guy sitting behind that computer using a photo of someone else? Some of the things you say are not something I would expect to hear out of a "chicks" mouth.

I had a similar reaction. I'm amazed at these sexist comments at times, and especially dismayed that they come from a female.

My first thought when I read that suggestion was that if I were one of the (female) students, I'd immediately lose confidence in the professionalism of an instructor who pulled stunts like that, and I'd find a different instructor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast