Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surface Interval Activities

Default Surface Interval Activities

What are some of the neat things that either you do or you have seen divemasters do to keep people entertained during surface intervals? What tips and tricks do the pros use to make the total trip more enjoyable--not just the underwater parts?

Here are some examples:

I have seen a DM tell jokes and let the divers tell jokes to pass the time.

I have seen a trick where a DM suspends an apple or orange in mid-air by cracking a tank valve slightly. The rushing air spins the fruit and suspends it in mid-air.

A nice touch I have seen in Florida is that between dives and after the dives, the DM slices fresh oranges to help divers get out the salt taste.

I've been on a boat with a grill and the DM handed out chicken biscuits for lunch.

I've seen hot chocolate served after cold dives or on cold days.

Share your experiences or tips/tricks here...

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

The only SI I've been on is for the wreck dive over here - The boat normally provides a good selection of fresh fruit (pineapple, melon, bananas).
    I've now got the nickname of 'ChipsAhoy' as on the last two times i've done the wreck dive, i've taken ChipsAhoy for everyone...and now being asked by the boat guys when i'm next doing the wreck dive
    Lottie

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Bananas on a boat, I always heard that was supposed to be bad luck Then again, I have always been the type who thinks it bad luck to be superstitious I love Bananas btw

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I dove on the Sceptre out of Ventura and during the surface interval they served a BBQ lunch with all kinds of side dishes. They also had a TV with a VCR (maybe a dvd someday) with a bunch of movies and dive videos. There are also hot showers and a hot tub.

Now on our NJ wreck dives, if you don't bring it, you don't get it. So basically pack something to eat. We also spend time talking about the dive and showing our finds (fish, bugs, artifacts, or whatever) to each other.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Most Dayboats out of Perth provide a BBQ lunch with a selection of drinks and fresh fruit. This is normally served while anchored and you can snorkel or sunbake to your hearts content while the crew beaver away over a hot grill.
    In the UK, we used to provide hot drinks and snacks and allow everybody to partake in the general banter and baiting that is part and parcel of British diving.
    I like the 'hovering' idea though, I may steal that one.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Sydney
    Country
    Australia

if we are on a shore dive one of us usually brings a foot ball or cricket bat / ball and just muck around for awhile, kills the time well

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    Bananas on a boat, I always heard that was supposed to be bad luck Then again, I have always been the type who thinks it bad luck to be superstitious

OH BANANAS VERY, VERY, VERY, BAD JOO JOO!!!!!!! I have NEVER been on a boat where something bad did not happen! Horrible, horrible dives when that "b" word present. I will not even allow bananas on cave trips or any where near the dive site!!!!! Even Banana nut bread, biscuit, muffins, etc. are "verboten". I have ransacked a "buddies" breakfast bag and destroyed the this potential "dive wrecker". I am not alone in my fanaticism...... er beliefs.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Well, to prove the skeptics and superstitous wrong - nothing has gone wrong when i've done the wreck dive...touch wood, nothing will.....

so what would happen if you're on a banana boat?? LOL
    Lottie

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Angry Heretic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Well, to prove the skeptics and superstitous wrong - nothing has gone wrong when i've done the wreck dive...touch wood, nothing will.....

This is not superstitious rhetoric, or paranoia, this is cold hard scientific fact!!!!. Tested and proven beyond all reasonable doubt. As soon as the "b" word removed, (read; appeasing of king Neptune and his vengeful court.....sacrificing of virgins were considered, but none could be located ) the dives miraculously improved!

As for the banana boat........oh, you deep trouble now!!!! The gods know you and will rise up and smite you for your arrogance. You must repent and seek all manner restitution!!! The sooner the better, so as to not incur the building wrath of this most vengeful being.

The sacrifice of virgins is a guarantee of restitution. If none can be subdued and cast into the sea, a poisonous serpent (in little pieces) is the next best thing. (Why? because I hate snakes!!!)

GO NOW!!! PROCEDE WITH ALL HASTE, ANOTHER MINUTE MUST NOT BE LOST!!!

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Angry Heretic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post

This is not superstitious rhetoric, or paranoia, this is cold hard scientific fact!!!!. Tested and proven beyond all reasonable doubt. As soon as the "b" word removed, (read; appeasing of king Neptune and his vengeful court.....sacrificing of virgins were considered, but none could be located ) the dives miraculously improved!

As for the banana boat........oh, you in deep trouble now!!!! The gods know you and will rise up to smite you for your arrogance. You must repent and seek all manner restitution!!! The sooner the better, so as to not incur the building wrath of this most vengeful being.

The sacrifice of virgins is a guarantee of restitution. If none can be subdued and cast into the sea, a poisonous serpent (in little pieces) is the next best thing. (Why? because I hate snakes!!!)

GO NOW!!! PROCEDE WITH ALL HASTE, ANOTHER MINUTE MUST NOT BE LOST!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast