Multiple cylinder configurations are setup to provide redundancy, they have nothing to do with the tech crap or deco or whatever else the internet hero's want to class them as. While redundancy is typically a good thing for divers, manifolded systems do introduce new failure points into the equation which must be analyzed to determine if the benefits outweigh the risks for the dives you want to do. There is a bit of a learning curve going from a single to multiple configuration, but it is a relatively short and easy curve and most divers to claim to feel more balanced in doubles as opposed to their singles rig (which I am convinced says more about the inefficiency of their singles rig as they have it configured for their personal use.)

With the cylinder selection available to us today, triple configurations just do not make much sense due to the extra failure points they bring with them; I would much rather dive twinned up lp 45's as opposed to triple 30's. One way to avoid the failure point issues is to dive the setup as independents as opposed to a manifolded system. This setup is typically preferred by solo divers as a failure can never affect more than half the available gas supply without the need for a second set of hands. With manifolded systems you must become proficient with valve shut procedures so that you can arrest any gas loss from a failure; there has been a lot of debate over the efficacy of manifolded doubles these days.

If you do try a multiple setup, I urge you to find a good mentor who can help you establish your trim properly and show you how to best manage your gas supply, to include valve drills should you opt for a manifolded setup. I loved my doubles, but since I mostly dive caves and solo (plus have numerous back, hip, and knee maladies to contend with these days) all I dive any more is side mount (I do still make the occassional single rig dive, but these are rare for me) which is basically independent doubles worn at my sides rather than on my back.