City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Default Great Product!

Hello All,

I came across a terrific product over the summer that may be of interest to many of you. While visiting Newport, RI for a weekend, I went on a dive with a local dive shop. The divemaster had the perfect place to keep the key to his truck so it would not rust, the remote key electronics would not get damaged, and best of all, it won't get lost.

I just recently ordered mine and should have it in the next day or so. Here it is...

It's called the hitch safe [http://www.hitchsafe.com AND http://www.hitchsafe.com/HitchSafe_brochure.pdf]. The website is self-explanatory, so check it out. It turns your trailer hitch recepticle into a secure lock safe.

I found this to be a very useful alternative to hiding keys in the bushes or in some strangers car, or bringing them down under.

I hope you find this worth your time to read.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

My secret place is inside the hatch that hides the gas filler cap ... shhhhhhhhh

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    My secret place is inside the hatch that hides the gas filler cap ... shhhhhhhhh
    Me too, guess it is not that big of a secret anymore.

I sell those hitch safes and they are nice if you have a receiver hitch. If you are really concerned and don't have a receiver, we also have ones that work without the receiver. It is a mini-safe that you can screw onto anything sutable. Maybe underside of your bumber, or even outside of your house for housekeys.

Fortunately where I dive, I could leave the keys in the ignition and not one would even think out touching them.

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

The gas cap hatch was a great idea, except that most people here in NY know about it too; AND, what do you do if your hatch requires a latch from inside the car for access?

This is obviously a convenience item, but a good one none-the-less.

FD

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Seems like overkill for hiding a key, not to mention what do you do if you happen to be towing a trailer. I just go down to my local Ace Hardware or Wally World and have spares made for a buck or two and carry one durong the dive. These don't have the electronic chips in them (so water is no threat to them), but they will still unlock your vehicle door (just cannot start the engine with it.) I keep one in my dry suit pocket all the time.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Ace Hardware? Wally World?

Come on, support your local locksmith. They keys won't cost you any more than the corprate store, but they will be MUCH better keys. They will also be made by someone that knows and understands keys, not some high schooler asking the manager how to work that darn key machine again.

Ace (Ace Lock Company)

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Ace,

despite the fact that the hitch safe may be viewed as overkill, unnecessary, frivolous, etc., is the product well made? What's your opinion as a locksmith?

FD

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

It's a decent product. I would not store anything worth too much in there, because like most locks they are only designed to keep honest people honest.

Personally, I leave my keys because I don't have any fear where I dive. My local quarry is private and gated so go figure. When I dive on a dive boat, they go in my dry box. Now when I dive at the beach and lakes I do just as Bama does. Get a cheap copy of your vehicle door key and keep your keys/remote in the vehicle. It is going to be a very inexpensive solution that will not let you down. Make sure to get a good strap and connect it somewhere you will be able to use it but not loose it!

So instead of spending $50 on the hitch safe, spend $2 or so on a spare key and another few $ on a brass/stainless keyring and snaphook. If you still like the hitch safe I would still say get the extra key made and keep your originals/remote in the car. You can even get in the habit of putting the spare back in the hitch safe after you are done opening the door, that way if you ever lock yourself out of the car, you will be ready with the spare.

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I always keep a key on my bc anyway, but with this (first vehicle with a hitch so in some ways, it's a toy) I can not worry about my keys when I go jogging in the summer when I wear no jacket and don't like the feel in my pocket for 10-15 miles (it also scratches my leg).

And, regarding the honest people honest comment: if someone wants in, ther're getting in. If someone want's my car, they get that too. Them my key on the bc doesn't work too well anyway.

When I went to Willow Springs I left my keys in the car unlocked as well. Joya made me feel comfortable as my buddy and I were the only two in the quarry.

When the weather warms up, or we get a nice day, I'll let you know when i come out and we'll go diving. You can lock your keys in my safe if you like.

FD

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Warms up? It is plenty warm for us! I was just diving there this past weekend and the water was great, even for my wetsuit diving buddies! The water was very clear too, nice treat.

Let me know when you would like to make it over this way.

Joya and Tom (her husband) just recently finished up their basic scuba certification. Joya also found out she will not be diving for a while as she is pregnant.

Other than that, the place is shaping up really nicely. They are still doing work to the place every time I am there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast