Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel with long blades question

Ace I'm not much of a freediver but I do know a few guys that are and to the best of my understanding the fins are so long so you get the extra thrust. I guess it's like an extention of your body. I've never seen the mono fins so I really don't know.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Now Freediver, I do have a question, what is the reason for such long fins? How about the mono-fin I see some freedivers with?
    The longer fins have a flex characteristic that is more efficient - my Waterway glass composite blades are a dream to dive with - the have rubber rails on each side that channel the water very efficiently and provide for a long slow kick cycle that is quite efficient once you understand the proper mechanics of a proper freedive kick cycle. I obtained the fin blades without foot pockets and installed them on my Picasso Foot pockets as they fit my feet perfectly. I dive a #2 stiffness which is more compliant than lower cost plastic freedive fins. The Waterways go from #1 (soft) to #5 (very stiff).

When I trained with Aharon Solomons 18 months ago at the Blue Hole in New Mexico, he suggested I get them as plastic blades were screwing up my finning technique - Best advice I could have received that actually improved my freedive technique.

Monofins are great if you're wanting to compete as they do provide a better transfer of energy, but they really require taking a course in how to utilize them properly as the biomechanics involved in using one takes a fair amount of work to perfect the technique.

In my opinion for the majority of recreational divers, a good pair of freediving bi-fins gives more flexibility regarding control in the water.
    Last edited by freediver; 11-07-2007 at 04:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12