Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Double Hose Regulator

That's kind of what I thought but the 1st is just a common reg which will be easy to find parts. I seen old double hose regs for simular prices that are rebuit and ready to dive. If they can find parts for them I would hope parts could be found for the newer ones. Plus the reg is $300 a LOT cheaper than a rebreather

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Wow, where did you see it for $300, I have seen it on sale for $595. For three SCUBA Bucks, even if you only get a 3 years out of the thing, that is fair.

well it was on a website for an east coast suba shop in PA but I emailed them and they no longer had any. It was $299 so I was going to give it a shot for that.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Yea, for that price you can't go wrong really. You could use it for a few months and sell it for $400 or more online. I guess someone beat you to it, I would have picked up one of them as well for that price....even if just to have a conversation starter on the dive boat.

Registered Users
    City
    Baton Rouge
    State
    Louisiana

I now use a DW Mistral (1959) as my #1 regulator. If ya'll are interrested in vintage double hoses try looking at www.vintagedoublehose.com. Bryan completely rebuilt mine so it is like stepping back in the past....sort of like driving a '59 vette. I have a USD Calypso and a Conshelf XIV, but I really like my Mistral. They are also becoming collectable....vintage....same year I was born....never mind. Tim

Like the below MISTRAL regulator for sale on E-bay right now at $150?

http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/19/48/6228_1.JPG

Registered Users
    City
    Baton Rouge
    State
    Louisiana

That's exactly what I have. I bought mine for $250 completely redone. Cousteau used the French version of the Mistral and it was his favorite reg to use. These regs are VERY different from today's single hose regs. Techniques such as buddy breathing and clearing a flooded hose need to be learned. Tanks should be LP like 2250 psi. I have a set of 1943 38 cu ft tanks being redone and I am putting together a set of 72's for next season now. Actually, reading BASIC SCUBA by Fred Roberts is good advice prior to use. That book was printed in 1960....like stepping back in time. "Old School" comes to mind. Tim

Let me just explain a few things and then I will leave you fine folks to your own mischief, this being from someone who learned on a double hose and still dives a double hose regulator.

First, this thing about rolling to the right and all of that, hum bug, starting in the mid 50s most all makers of double hose regulators had the smart idea of installing one way valves into the mouthpiece which essentially and forever removed the need to roll to clear the regulator. All you need do now is lift the mouthpiece higher than the diaphram. Second, many parts are available now for the US Divers and certain Voit models, more even than when they were in production and in most cases the parts are superior. Third, there is a modification that replaces the original nozzle assembly with one that has three LP and three HP ports. Fourth, any sort of diving that can be done with a single hose can be done with a twin hose and in some cases better. Fifth, while there are many brands of cool twin hose regs to collect, most actual diving today is done with various USD and Voit models due to their combination of quality, parts uniformity and availability, simple design and ease of rebuilding and availability. Hope this info is helpful.

www.vintagedoublehose.com
    www.vintagescubasupply.com

CF

Country
    USA

I always wondered how well a double hose reg breathed....
    SMN Publisher

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I always wondered how well a double hose reg breathed....
    Well, if you are ever in my area, look me up. I will let you use my double hose and you can let me use your rebreather. I always wondered about those.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast