Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Double Hose Regulator

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Arrow Vintage Double Hose Regulator

I just picked up a few vintage Aqua-Lung double hose regulators which I think are from 1958.

I was wondering if anyone else here has any of these type of regulators? I really love vintage SCUBA gear and these are going to be the first two pieces in my collection.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a good way to display these? I am thinking about making a mount for them so they can be stood up somehow.

I did not originally buy these to dive with, but I have recently found out that they can be serviced and used. I know it is not something I would want use on a regular basis, but there is a club that dives vintage gear twice a year for an event. Anyone else out there collect or dive this type of stuff?

Here are a few photos of the regulators.
    Last edited by acelockco; 06-04-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Well good luck trying to kill yourself, if I heard correctly remember to roll to the right to clear them. Maybe display them in a glass top table, or the normal dive shop I have has a whole bunch of old scuba stuff in a trophy like glass cabinet.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Kill myself?

No really, from what I have been reading they actually are very durable, reliable and diveable. Again, I would only think of doing it once to try them out, but then again, my original and main intention is to have them on display. Of course I would never think about diving them without first getting them rebuilt and tested. I am a little crazy, but not stupid!

I have been looking, and found some nice display cases that will do nicely. I am trying to set up something cool with some of the things I found while diving along with some vintage gear. I have a few brass items and such from wreck diving and a few shells and other finds.

Anyone else have any SCUBA displays or similar?

And yes, I am thinking something similar to what most dive shops have set up. And maybe someday this stuff will wind up in my dive shop if I ever go in that direction.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Ace,

As I get older, er..... I mean gain experience. I have really started to become interested in the origins of SCUBA. Especially the equipment employed by these very brave pioneers. Starting to collect these relics of diving is very intriguing. It is something that I have been interested in for quite some time. The fact that there is a dive club devoted to this is awesome. To dive this gear would be quite an experience, and one that would, no doubt, lead to a much greater appreciation of the difficulties these early pioneers experienced on a daily basis.

Go for it!!!!

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Cool find ace. Sure it will look cool on display, but think about how much more interesting it will be if you can explain all the intracacies of using it (like the side roll to clear water from the loop) based upon actual experiences with it in the water. The vintage scuba folks are pretty good at offering help and advice to get these old rigs back into the water where they rightfully belong, and they are a blast to dive.

OK maybe not kill your self. But I guess if you could get it rebuilt that would be cool to dive with a few times with that dive club you were talking about. My only advice is to have a back up pony tank because even if it's rebuilt it's still really old to trust 100%. Have fun and let us know if you ever get them in the water.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Well I am a gear junkie and love to B.S. about scuba related things. It really will be a blast to try this stuff out with the other divers.

I also found a few other items around my house from scuba-past. I found an old ikelite dive light that uses the old 6 volt dry cell. It actually still works! I used it on a dive earlier this year. Of course it is not nearly as old as the regulators I have.

My wife found a vintage dacor dive knife while on a dive together. It was found in fresh water, and looks like the day it was new! I have no idea on the age, but it is a massive RAMBO style knife and nothing I would want to have for diving.

I think that every one of us (us that are really into diving) have a collection of scuba stuff. It could be vintage gear, things found while diving, and even dive photos. What a great way to share our love for scuba with our diving and non-diving friends and family. Who knows, maybe something you have will spark someones intrest in this great sport.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

my mom still has her mask and snorkel from when she used to dive about 25 years ago and they are still in good condition. Okay, so it's not in the same league as the stuff you've got Ace.

one piece of advice - just be careful when you're using that stuff...and stay shallow, just in case it ends up not working. We don't wanna miss our Ace
    Lottie

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Word!

I would surely have a redundant system nearby, and these dives take place in a quarry under pretty controlled conditions with safety divers and photographers. Supposedly the news showed up last year.

Anyway, Lottie your stuff is definately in line with what I am talking about. If anything it is even better because it was something that you know the history of and have ties to. Maybe you can use that as a start to your own collection.

I am acutally looking for an old school mask right now. I figure if I am going to dive the double hose reg, I will have to get the rest of the old vintage gear to go along with it. Old horse collar BC, plastic hard pack, double 45'ish tanks and whatever else I can find. Maybe a Creature from the Black Lagoon to pose with as well.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Maybe a Creature from the Black Lagoon to pose with as well.
    They have "The Thing" down here....it only comes out at night though and nobody knows what it is...<cue the scary music>
    Lottie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast