Thread: Vintage Double Hose Regulator

Hybrid View

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Well I am a gear junkie and love to B.S. about scuba related things. It really will be a blast to try this stuff out with the other divers.

I also found a few other items around my house from scuba-past. I found an old ikelite dive light that uses the old 6 volt dry cell. It actually still works! I used it on a dive earlier this year. Of course it is not nearly as old as the regulators I have.

My wife found a vintage dacor dive knife while on a dive together. It was found in fresh water, and looks like the day it was new! I have no idea on the age, but it is a massive RAMBO style knife and nothing I would want to have for diving.

I think that every one of us (us that are really into diving) have a collection of scuba stuff. It could be vintage gear, things found while diving, and even dive photos. What a great way to share our love for scuba with our diving and non-diving friends and family. Who knows, maybe something you have will spark someones intrest in this great sport.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

my mom still has her mask and snorkel from when she used to dive about 25 years ago and they are still in good condition. Okay, so it's not in the same league as the stuff you've got Ace.

one piece of advice - just be careful when you're using that stuff...and stay shallow, just in case it ends up not working. We don't wanna miss our Ace
    Lottie

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Word!

I would surely have a redundant system nearby, and these dives take place in a quarry under pretty controlled conditions with safety divers and photographers. Supposedly the news showed up last year.

Anyway, Lottie your stuff is definately in line with what I am talking about. If anything it is even better because it was something that you know the history of and have ties to. Maybe you can use that as a start to your own collection.

I am acutally looking for an old school mask right now. I figure if I am going to dive the double hose reg, I will have to get the rest of the old vintage gear to go along with it. Old horse collar BC, plastic hard pack, double 45'ish tanks and whatever else I can find. Maybe a Creature from the Black Lagoon to pose with as well.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Maybe a Creature from the Black Lagoon to pose with as well.
    They have "The Thing" down here....it only comes out at night though and nobody knows what it is...<cue the scary music>
    Lottie

Hey ace I have the hard plastic plate and the horse collar bc from when my dad dove, but I'm almost 100% sure the guys that dove those regs before you never had a bc. Maybe now is the time to dump the bc like you were thinking about earlier.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Oh yea' you know it!

I was thinking about the old horse collar, but I don't think they used them. Instead, I think they practiced pin point buoyancy skills.

Here is proof that no bcd existed back then

1971: Scubapro introduces the Stabilization Jacket, now in England commonly called stab jacket, and elsewhere Buoyancy Control (or Compensation) Device (BC or BCD).

This is off a timeline of Scuba history on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...ing_technology