Thread: Traveling with Video Housing Question - HELP!

Hybrid View

Country
    USA

So far every International carrier I've used has had the 70lb limit for scuba gear. Singapore Air, Philippines Air, Cathay Pacific, etc.

Registered Users

With what Robin Berg told me about how he is using the HC7 in L&M's Bluefin HC7 housing for broadcast work he's shooting, I'm inclined to think that for the style of shooting I do, that this is the tool of choice for the Immersive Video Journalism I'm developing. Small & compact with image quality as good (as he stated) as his larger Z1U camera in it's Bluefin Housing.

I'm beginning to see that having something like this setup along with my freediving gear - traveling is going to be easier than I had thought.

Now where did I lay that extra $$$ to pick this outfit up???

Registered Users
    City
    Brooklin
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

Hello Cliff,

Now I know why I could not access the forums at UWDV.

Having travelled a bit with my Z1 and Phenom housing perhaps I can offer some packing suggestions. First, and perhaps most important, insure the hell out of your gear. That way you are covered for loss, theft, flooding, damage, whatever. Whenever possible I insist that customs check the case and mark that they have done so and then I lock it with a combination lock that they would have to cut off.

I use Amphibico's custom hard case for the Phenom and it has bold gold lettering announcing the contents of the case. I suppose flashing neon signs would be a little more noticeable but not much. The camera is always carried in my carry-on, never inside the housing. Ensure that you have removed the O-rings from the housing prior to checking it in as luggage. Otherwise the change in pressure may make opening the housing at your destination extremely difficult or, worse yet, pop the lens out.

Some airlines accept the equipment as scuba gear and do not charge as overweight. Others charge regardless. There does not even seem to be any consistency as to what the charges will be. I paid $250 extra to take my equipment to Indonesia, and $80 to bring it back. Go figure.

Purchasing one of the smaller HD cameras and subsequent smaller housing makes a lot of sense since then you could probably manage the whole kit as carry-on.

Most international flights use 70 lb limits. However, you often have to use domestic flights within those countries to make your final destination. Many domestic flights have a 50 lb limit. I have found that you can "negotiate" any overweight problems ($$) in many areas.