Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do not try this at home!!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

yea' looks like he is having fun, but not too good on the safety factor.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

I think all divers should strive for the level of proficiency shown in this clip.
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Registered Users

Couple of more Monkey Diving clips from Bonaire:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0BlVklUY848

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    yea' looks like he is having fun, but not too good on the safety factor.

They are obviously having a blast!!! And judging by the number of other video clips posted, these guys know exactly what they are doing. Hence safe as a hen in the hen house.

They demonstrate a level of expertise, that I have yet to achieve with my scooter. So....... I am with Tiger on this one.

Hi All....

Its understandable that at first impression one might think that Monkey Diving pushes the limits in terms of safety, we get it a lot, it is actually on the contrary.
    Given that prior to diving the diver goes through the protocols required, by properly weighing themselves so that he/she is slightly negative and are able to control their buoyancy by their breathing.
    The X-scooter should be neutrally balanced and the tank to be used is Luxfer's S080/S040.
    The Monkey diver is now more comfortable with less gear, they become more streamlined, more agile and they get more out of the X-scooter's power. Monkey Diving now becomes more fun than the diver has ever experienced underwater, we see it work every time.

Bring out the Monkey is a recent video shot and edited by our good friends at Liquid Jungle Productions.

12m/39ft max depth. Drysuits. Hurghada, Red Sea.

Here is a link to an article published in Diver Magazine in January that you might also find interesting. Monkey Business

Red Sea Explorer
    Year of the Monkey
    Last edited by redseaexplorer; 02-18-2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added link.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    Florida
    Country
    USA

I hate to be the downer here, but what they are doing is extremely stupid and dangerous. Looks like a great way to get bent and/or an embolism, especially doing this after a previous set of dives. Seeing the AL40 indicates prior decompression diving as well. Seeing the rapid ascents, whether breathing out prior or during, is a great way to send a bubble to the brain or spinal column. But hey, it looks cool. I hope not too many decide to duplicate this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12