Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medical check-ups?

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Here is the link and it is in section 2.3.1. http://www.marine.uq.edu.au/hirs/downloads/bd2.pdf
    That's just the site of the University of Queensland. Any institution can make rules that are not necessarily enshrined in law.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Some places maybe lax on requirements and if you read the whole thing it is pretty hard to enforce, but for live aboards I know that people have been turned away! I am glad for your sake they didn't enforce their rules, but they do exist and I would fly half way around the world and take a chance!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Which states that a dive medical is required for courses, not for normal recreational dives. I have never been asked for a medical certification on any dive that i've done here. On the dayboats that I have worked on we check C-cards - and will turn you away if you can't produce one- but we never ask for proof of a dive medical.
    On the Liveaboards that i've done, I have had to fill in a self certification form as part of the liability release but have never had to provide an form of official certification.
    The above notwithstanding, getting a check out from a medical professional on an annual or bi-annual basis is not a bad idea. After all, you get your kit serviced regularly, why not the really important bit that the kit is designed to preserve ?
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I just emailed a friend in Australia and if you read the second site it states that if you answer yes to any of the medical questions or are 55 or older then operators are required to ask for you medical. He said you do to learn and then under the above circumstances, but he said there are a lot of rules that are not strictly adhered too! My point is if you are going all that way, from here or Europe, then I wouldn't take a chance, but I am over 55 so for me better safe than a waste!

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

I see what you mean, I had to get a doctor's certificate to be allowed on the open water course, so hopefully that will be accepted, I will investigate further......

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

So far the canaries & spain, in Mauritius I had to show my doctor's certificate due to childhood back problems. This is the sort of thing I was worried about - [B]Medical
    If you are already certified and just want to dive with us, we’ll ask you to complete the standard RSTC (PADI) medical statement before you dive. As per normal procedure, if you answer ‘no’ to all the questions - no problem. If the honest answer to any question is ‘yes’, please have a medical examination (for your own safety) and get your doctor to complete and sign his section of the form before you come to dive.

If you want to enrol on a certification course (Open Water Diver, Advanced / Adventure Diver etc), local law in Murcia states that you must have a diving medical. There are two options for this:

1. In your home country. Complete and sign the PADI medical statement (we can provide a copy of this on request). Then get a doctor to check your fitness and complete the physician's section of the statement.

2. In Spain. Get a Spanish diving medical certificate, we can give you details of where to go for a while-u-wait medical

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks for your input and the links.

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks Lottie, it does seem to be the general consensus to get it in advance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12