Thread: Should Instructors be certified Rescue

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

SS, That's the idea. We have a fair few divers locally who have Rescue quals. a few non-current Dm's and several retired instructors who haven't gone through a rescue scenario in years. I think that Rescue skills are the type of thing that can go rusty really quickly without practice. If we can make a fun day out happen - remember the fun you had on your rescue course ? - then, people get a refresher and we get a pool of trained up rescue divers. Seems like a win-win to me.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

As a group we kinda do some drills at the beginning of the season and every month or so we're out locally: search & recovery, search & rescue, 02 administration review - lots show up for that one

It's a lot of fun and everyone gets to practice rusty skills.

& to answer the original question, yes Instructors should be certified rescue (bare minimum), because never-ever students trust them completely with their life in a foreign environment. Big resposibility.
    Last edited by littleleemur; 12-15-2007 at 05:30 AM.

Registered Users

Default As of March 2009, all new PADI Instructors must be current Emergency First Response

Surface Interval - Vol. 4 No. 1

New Open Water Scuba Instructor Requirement

As of March 2009, all new PADI Instructors must also be current Emergency First Response Instructors or hold another current first aid and CPR instructor credential. Although first aid and CPR provider-level training is currently required, the new requirement stipulates that new instructors have instructor-level CPR and first aid skills.

Not only will PADI Instructors be better prepared to respond to emergencies, but they'll also be better able to offer all-inclusive PADI Rescue Diver and Divemaster courses. Additionally, this gives PADI Instructors another marketable skill - one that they can use to diversify their course offerings outside the dive industry.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

I strongly agree with Seasnake on both accounts.

Registered Users
    City
    Avalon
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Is there a certification agency that doesn't require the equivalent of Rescue Diver for DM's and instructors?
    Visit my web site for images of and information about the marine life of southern California's kelp forests.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

I dont know of any agency.
    but,

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

I dont know of any agency.
    but, its only logical that a dive leader would have rescue training.
    i think it would be klind of stupid to send a dive leader out with any type of diver, be they OW or certified without knowing about how to rescue and the psychology of rescue and paniced divers.

I might be wrong though

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

Default For NAUI

Policies Applying to All Leadership & Instructor Courses
    • Prerequisites and Requirements:
      • Rescue Certification - At a minimum, Scuba Rescue Diver certification is required except for Skin Diving Instructor, for which a lifeguarding certification is adequate.
      • CPR & First Aid Certification - Current certification or verified competency in CPR and First Aid is required for registration. Certification training shall include one person adult CPR, infant/child CPR, two person CPR and the use of rescue breathing barrier devices, e.g. pocket mask®, face shield.

Country
    Cayman Is.

Really, I think anyone who puts himself forward as a potential leader of dives, DM / Instructor or not, should have a Rescue Cert. And reviewing the course from time to time is not a bad idea either.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

at the dive shop i worked for there was a diveleder rescue review every 2 months.
    here, at he insttute that i work in we have bi-anual rescue reviews for the scientific divers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast