Thread: Rechargable Batteries

Default Rechargable Batteries

Since it's now lobster season I'm going to be doing a lot of night dives. In the past I've used disposable batteries but I'm looking in to rechargable. It seems like my choices are NiMH or NiCd. NiMH seem like the better of the two but not really sure. Any suggestions?

Country
    USA

NiMH wins hands down.....if someone offered me free nicads, I'd turn them down.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

With NiMH's charge them to max the night before and drain them the first two times you use them after that they will not develop a memory and should last a long time. They store well too!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Of course if you can find and afford them, Li-Ion batteries are the way to go. Unlike all of the other ones you mentioned, they are the only ones that do not form a memory. They also last about 3x as long (rechargeable about 1500x vs. about 500x for the others). The other thing about Li-Ion is that they work at just about full power until they are dead. This means your light will be just about as bright with fully charged batteries untill they are just about completely discharged.

The one thing to be careful with Li-Ion is not to leave them completely discharged. If you store them completely discharged, you may never be able to charge them again.

Thank's for the advice, I was looking at the pick n save of tools, Harbor Freight, and they didn't have Li-Ion. So I'll do a little more searching to see the price differences.
    Last edited by hbh2oguard; 10-04-2007 at 09:00 PM.