Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Continuing your skills?

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Hi Friends.

Just a protocol note. If you have an issue about whether a training agency in your opinion lacks the skillsets in the curriculum you believe appropriate, directing that towards the agency and leaving a member out would be a great way to make sure people never feel singled out for the policies and standards of the certification agency they paid.

We always want to make sure that all members here always feel eager to come home from work, log in and see & share with our fellow SMN dive friends in the fun of our sport.

Thanks!
    I'm not certain that you can direct any, well, much criticism at any agency but only the intructors who taught you. A common concensus of opinion amongst us UK forum types is that the instructor is more important to your learning, improvement etc than the course itself. Afterall, diving isn't rocket science and everybody learns pretty much the same material.

People seem to pick on PADI a lot because of their teaching methods but all you need to understand in the ethos behind the training. With PADI you are taught the theory and some mechanics but it is up to the divers to flesh out that learning with experience. I liked that way of learning and it never did me any harm.

The best way to improve initialy is to dive with experienced divers ............ if you can ever get one to buddy up with you!

Oh, and practice practice practice!

State
    Suffolk
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    Yeah, we probably had lousy pot 25 years ago. I always hated pot, anyway.
    The challenge was mostly, could we do it?

It was much easier to drink beer underwater...ever try it?
    This'll give you all an insight into how my mind works (over analysing everything), but wouldn't drinking beer underwater cause problems because of the gas in the drink expanding when coming up to the surface. But then again, would the can not implode with depth (assuming you're doing it deeper than 3m), or would the internal pressure of the can be enough to overcome the external pressure, in which case, what would happen when you opened it... I'm thinking about this way too much, aren't I...
    Things will go wrong in any given situation, if you give them a chance.
    - Murphy's Law

Dive safe.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

hmmmm .... interesting ... but since you aren't absorbing the gas into your tissues but just storing it in the digestive tract, wouldn't it ... "vent" ... normally?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Bottle or Can your replacing the drink with compressed air, so no collapsed can or bottle! And the hard part is keeping the sea water out! A good burp and your on your way Now this is skill!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Bottle or Can
    Now is that drinking it with or without a straw????
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    hmmmm .... interesting ... but since you aren't absorbing the gas into your tissues but just storing it in the digestive tract, wouldn't it ... "vent" ... normally?

If so, and you are wearing a dry suit you will have a nice present when you go to take off the suit!

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    Did I ever tell you about smoking pot underwater?
    Inquiring minds want to know more

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Can't you just smoke before and and after? If not your pot is not good enough! It really should last the entire dive. Unless that is you are like Bamma and stay submerged for hours doing decompression.

Where did Lottie go? I am still waiting on her to get back to me with the info about her Advanced Class.

Unless she is avoiding the question!
    I prefer to smoke crawdads during deco

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Ever just put on a mask and fins grab a tank with a reg and jump overboard? You should try it! The more you dive under different configurations the better diver you will be! The advantage I have with my training is we didn't have BCD's gages, and all the fancy stuff. All you need underwater is air! If you understand that the bottom is the limit!
    Plus, there are some really cool tunnels that you can only pass through in such a configuration

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Now your talking side-mount! I like it
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast