Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dive the U.S.S. Spiegel Grove Shipwreck

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

well thats what my dive comp said last week.....
    Lottie

City
    Cottage Grove
    State
    MN
    Country
    US

The Bibb is the sister ship of the Duane but it's on its side. There is usually a pretty strong current and you'll probably want to stay in the "shadow" of the wreck for most of the dive which will put you in about 110 FSW. You'll want to bring plenty of gas and hope that the boat you're on will allow you to go into deco. Or, you'll just get about a 15 minute dip on it. It rarely gets dove for those reasons.

I dove with these guys: http://www.silentworldkeylargo.com/. They're Brits, just like Lottie, and very nice to do business with

Here is my report on my last trip to Key Largo for reference: http://tinyurl.com/3xwr6y

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    well thats what my dive comp said last week.....
    Oh, I totally know that is what the temps in your area are, I am just saying that is HOT for me!

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
    The Bibb is the sister ship of the Duane but it's on its side. There is usually a pretty strong current and you'll probably want to stay in the "shadow" of the wreck for most of the dive which will put you in about 110 FSW. You'll want to bring plenty of gas and hope that the boat you're on will allow you to go into deco. Or, you'll just get about a 15 minute dip on it. It rarely gets dove for those reasons.

I dove with these guys: http://www.silentworldkeylargo.com/. They're Brits, just like Lottie, and very nice to do business with

Here is my report on my last trip to Key Largo for reference: http://tinyurl.com/3xwr6y
    Cool, now that is some GREAT info. Sounds like the Bibb is similar to what we see up here in New Jersey, well the water is almost 30 degrees colder and MUCH less viz, but the depth and currents sound the same. It sounds like that is definately a good one to dive on.

Thanks again man!

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Dove the "Grove" yesterday. Bottom Temp was 79 F. degrees. Visibility was a poor 40 feet, with a 1/2 knot current. Over all a good dive!

In My opinion, the Bibb is a better wreck than the "Duane". I always enjoy the dives on this wreck.

Both these wrecks are advanced level dives. They are not to be taken lightly! 3 Jersey divers died on the "Grove" this spring, and the fourth barely made it out.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Yohanson, again thanks for the link to Silent World Key Largo, I was at their web site and from the looks of it they are exactly what I am looking for. I will be calling them tomorrow to get additional info.

amtrosie, do you live down there? If so, I have a few questions.

Also do you have any links to what happened with the NJ divers? I am very curious. Anyway, I definately have respect for EVERY dive I do, even the ones I do in the local quarry, because when you forget about being safe is when things will go wrong.

City
    Cottage Grove
    State
    MN
    Country
    US

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Yohanson, again thanks for the link to Silent World Key Largo, I was at their web site and from the looks of it they are exactly what I am looking for. I will be calling them tomorrow to get additional info.

amtrosie, do you live down there? If so, I have a few questions.

Also do you have any links to what happened with the NJ divers? I am very curious. Anyway, I definately have respect for EVERY dive I do, even the ones I do in the local quarry, because when you forget about being safe is when things will go wrong.
    No problem. They guys that died did so because they were stupid. They did a very difficult penatration with no lines and not nearly enough gas. The penatration they did was on a sealed hatchway that had broken loose when Dennis righted her. It was very narrow and the area silted out so that the strobe they were using was useless. I've done 5 dips on that ship and have penatrated her everytime and have never even come close to that part of the ship. You won't either so don't worry about getting killed on it. What really sucks is that they did it off the Scuba Do, the boat that I did my first two dives on the Grove with. I hear the owner/captain is out of business now. Too bad because he was great to do business with too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12