Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yolk vs DIN

Well I decided to sell the HP100 and just got a LP95. With the plus rating it holds more air and it's acutally shorter but a lot wider. It also quite a bit heaver but less weight on my belt.

City
    Port Orchard
    State
    WA
    Country
    USA

OK ... I know this is old but I have been having this same conversation with some of my dealers.

Two years ago (the age of this thread) I was selling DIN filler hoses on compressors two to one over the yoke filler. Last hear it turned around the other way. I started selling tank valves last year and have not sold one DIN only valve but a TON of the cheap yoke/DIN convertibles.

Does that mean that DIN isn't as popular as it once was? Probably not. I think that , in at least in the case of the valves, cheap is the winner ... no matter what the configuration.
    Ray
    ==================
    www.CompressorStuff.com

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I also think it has a lot to do with what people already have. Most regulators that have been sold in the US in the past use Yolk fittings. It is not likely that someone is going to replace a regulator just because they are buying a new cylinder, unless they are buying everything together. I also think you are right cost is a huge factor. I also think DIN is used more exclusively in the technical dive community, which we all know is a rather small percentage of all divers.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

It is any easy cure, valve companies now have a valve with a built in adapter! All you need is an Allen wrench! So no matter where you go you can adapt to local equipment. As a world traveler I carry a valve insert so my Yoke first stage works! I think the reason for what your seeing is HPs were becoming the "New thing" and then people started looking at it as hbh2 did and shop owners realized how expensive it is to run the compressor to 4000psi! Wait and see if Cap-in-trade goes through!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    It is any easy cure, valve companies now have a valve with a built in adapter! All you need is an Allen wrench!
    I have one of these type of valves on my pony bottle. The only problem with it is that I only have one first stage that will actually fit on to it. It is so wide, that most yolk type first stages will not fit. I can post a photo if anyone doesn't understand what I mean.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

You do know it is easy to change your 1st stage yoke?
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    You do know it is easy to change your 1st stage yoke?
    I did, that is why it is on my pony bottle. My pony reg. is the only one that I have that will fit over it.

I am thinking about getting some new cylinders soon anyway. I dove a few days ago with a LP120. It was a beast of a cylinder but I was able to dive for almost 2 hours and I still had air left but was too cold to continue. My friend has 5 of them for sale, thinking about picking up one or two.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123