Thread: Yolk vs DIN

Hybrid View

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I'd be happy to swap you an old yoke valve or two for the DIN valve (DIN is all I use these days, so I have a pile of old yoke valves laying around.) At the higher pressures you will go through a lot more orings on your yoke connection, but that mk25 will not miss a beat. Mine have seen 4000psi starting pressures on a regular basis and it took quite a few dives (read multiple years) before the HP seat began to leak a bit (easy fix.) Just about all regulators manufactured today are 300 BAR regs, which mean they will easily handle the extra pressure at the beginning of each dive. It is a simple task to replace the yoke on your reg with a DIN fitting, and the $120 sounds about right if you are paying shop labor to have someone else do it for you (the parts themselve can be had for half that or less, depending upon the quality you settle for - e.g. plastic handwheel can be had cheap while the metal handwheels are much more expensive.) It is a relatively simple task to make the switch yourself, you just need to know how to use a torque wrench.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Bama,

Now that sounds like the best plan for him.

He does not even need a torque wrench, he can put the thing on hand tight and bring it to the shop for its VIS inspection, of course they will take off the valve and reinstall it when done. Our local shop charges $15 for the VIS.

So if he makes a trade with you and brings his cylinder to his LDS, he will only be out $15 more and be able to use his new cyl.