Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yolk vs DIN

Hybrid View

Default Yolk vs DIN

I know the obvious differences but I can't decide if I want to spend the money to convert my reg to DIN. I just picked up a steel HP100 with a din valve for $70. So I couldn't pass it up, but it's going to cost $100-120 to convert my reg to din with the yolk adapter. Just would like a little input. It seems like the converter for din to yolk pushes the reg against your head, just wonder if that's true.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Depends on what kind of diving you will be doing with the tank!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Country
    USA

Yoke sure seems to be an odd design. With DIN the o-ring is quite captured and the 1st stage is lighter and more compact.

very true and the tank is a lot nicer. It's mostly recreational diving so either way would be fine. I'll probably convert it. Does anyone know of any good site to buy conversions for a scubapro MK25?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Or if you would like to save money (or make some money) you can just buy a new yolk valve for you cylinder and sell the din valve for just as much or more than you bought the yolk valve for. Plus you can still use your regulator on other cylinders that have yolk(and most do .....at least in the states.)

Ace I was think about that but the guy at the LDS said o rings blow out all the time with the extra pressure and it's bad for the reg. Don't know if that's true, any opinions?

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    I know the obvious differences but I can't decide if I want to spend the money to convert my reg to DIN. I just picked up a steel HP100 with a din valve for $70. So I couldn't pass it up, but it's going to cost $100-120 to convert my reg to din with the yolk adapter. Just would like a little input. It seems like the converter for din to yolk pushes the reg against your head, just wonder if that's true.
    So you have YOKE reg and DIN tank valve. You should be able to find the threaded insert that goes into a DIN valve allowing a YOKE reg to attach and work just fine. Some valves actually come with the insert - I have one, but it's DIN 200. If your tank is DIN300, then you need to check out some on-line dive shops and get one. It will NOT be $100-120, but should be A LOT less.

Cheers,

-S

Registered Users

not all din valves are able to accomodate the thing that screws in to make it yoke. the one i just bought second hand did not. so i bought the conversion for my reg. cost like $40. and i can change my reg back and forth din to yoke in seconds. but after using din I have a strong preferance for it and I am selling all my aluminum yoke tanks.

Bama it's a thermo 3500 DIN http://www.thermovalves.com/scuba_outlets.htm
    the last one on the page. It's a pretty small neck not exactly sure what size. If you have a K valve you think would work at high pressure I'd be happy to switch. Just one question, normally an o ring blows when taking off the reg or just turing it on, or can it blow when ever?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Of course it can blow whenever, but 99.9% of the time they start to leak right when you turn the pressure on. If you get the better o-rings they really will last longer. Then again, if you just buy the cheep ones and replace them every 10 uses or so, you should never really have a problem.

In fact in the 80 or so dives my wife and I did over this summer, we only had one o-ring go, and it was my fault as I tried to turn my first stage when it was already connedted and I ripped the o-ring.

I did notice that a lot of the o-rings go bad on rental tanks, but I think they just use them untill it completely fails or someone complains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast