Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
Ace I was think about that but the guy at the LDS said o rings blow out all the time with the extra pressure and it's bad for the reg. Don't know if that's true, any opinions?

I have several things to say, while I am stuck on land due to bad seas and not able to dive, GARBAGE, GARBAGE GARBAGE!!!!!! That is truly the most idiotic thing I have heard in a while! These are high pressure regs to begin with. 3000 psi. is high pressure, 500 psi. is not extra higher pressure. (What is this super secret double probation? [Animal House reference]). The regulator, provided it is serviced annually (per manf. specs.), is designed, and capable of handling this and higher pressures. I have been diving DIN regulators, Mares and Scubapro, for 12 or 13 years and servicing them for longer. The only regs that show unusual wear, are the ones that are not serviced regularly! This is all a function of maintaining the correct Intermediate pressure on the first stage.
That is yoke or DIN.

The profile of a Din is smaller and less obtrusive and less prone to failures. The O-ring on the yoke is exposed to all and wears out much quicker than a DIN O-ring (which is mounted on the regulator itself)

Now if the tank is to your liking and the valve is not, you can sell the valve, buy a "standard" valve as a replacement. This is a store/site that could help you. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/thermo.shtml
It has the added benefit of being able "convert" back and forth, should you so choose. The other consideration, as Papabear indicated, is the ability to get a "true" fill of your HP tank. Here in Florida, and especially in cave country, a good fill is readily available.

I have L.P. tanks (2640 & 2100 psi. working pressure), I have H.P. tanks (3442 psi. working pressure), I have standard tanks (3000 psi. working pressure). They each have their purpose, and are dove in certain combinations and/or situations. What is not changing, are my regulators!

What it boils down to is simply this, what diving are you going to do? What should not be a factoring consideration is whether or not your regulators can handle the various pressures. They can, how about you?